Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Pentax K1000 vs. K1000 SE?

Hi;

My mom gave me a Pentax K1000 SE camera body with a lens that slips. So I want to get some other lenses for it. I did a search on ebay for "K1000 SE" and got about 3 hits. A search for "K1000" yields several pages of hits. So my question is: are k1000 lenses and K1000 SE lenses compatible? That is, can I safely buy some "K1000" lenses off of ebay for my K1000 SE?

I also have a 2nd question: the faux leather (I guess actually made of paper) covering that is glued to the body of the camera has come off on the front on one side of the lens opening. Will light get into the camera there and should I therefore glue that paper back on?

Thanks!

looper

Re: Pentax K1000 vs. K1000 SE?

I used to have one! Brown "leather" covering, right? To answer your second question, it won't give you any light leaks. I'm not sure what adhesive you'd use for something like this, but it won't take too much. If you have a good old camera store near you, you might ask them.

The K1000 and SE are basically the same - I remember the focusing screen and color being the only differences but you're testing my memory! I didn't see many SE's around and they weren't made for very long. So yes, the same lenses will work on either camera.

Mine's a black "leather" covering (not brown) but that's not to say some couldn't have been brown and some black...

Thanks so much for your answers. It's what I would have figured but I'm glad to hear it from someone who knows. Thanks again!

looper

Anotherview is right again. The SE has brown leather covering and and the focusing screen is a bit different. There are a lot of K mount lenses around. Just use K Mount" in your searches.

My camera has black faux leather covering, not brown, and it says "SE". There must have been some variation. Thank you for the tip on using "K mount" in my searches.

looper

Thread Information