Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Paper difference

Hi folks. I'm new to this board, and have just started getting into photography again, after a long break to raise a bunch of kids. I have a question maybe some of you could help with.

What is the best use of the various fine art photo papers? I have a sampling of photo rag, museum etching, and matte, and would like to know which types of photos are best on these papers? I've usually been a gloss and semi-gloss fellow, and am a novice on this.

Thanks

Mike

Re: Paper difference

Mat papers are better for archival use. I prefer mat paper for framing behind glass. But for unframed photos which are going to be handled gloss or semi-gloss papers should be used.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks, fregr. The problem I have is the colors look much less vivid on the fine art papers. Is there something special I should be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by GTRules View Post
    Thanks, fregr. The problem I have is the colors look much less vivid on the fine art papers. Is there something special I should be doing?
    Yes, there are setting in the printer driver. I have used Epson Printers and HP plotters, You select printer properties, and under paper there should be a selection menu. If you printing on a great white mat paper instead of (Canon, HP or Epson, your band of printer) the Mat XXX paper setting will work. You should print a color test on the paper your going to use. Most paper bands have the color profile printed on the box some place. It's the Glossy and Semi-Glossy papers you really need to load the color profiles for as I've seen large color shifts on one band of paper to red, and on a different brand to blue.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

I have an HP Photo Stylus printer and tried several driver settings, however I do not get the same quality as on my screen.

Regards,
    Mihai.

Quote Originally Posted by MihaiG View Post
    I have an HP Photo Stylus printer and tried several driver settings, however I do not get the same quality as on my screen.

Regards,
    Mihai.

There are some problems with computer screen to paper. One is the translation from viewing on the monitor to paper. The other is color.

Problem 1) The default monitor resolution is around 72 dpi. You have to look at the pixel size of the image you wish to print. For a photo quality print you need to print at 300 DPI, you can go to a lower resolution but the viewing distance must be much greater. NOTE: RESIZING will not give your the extra pixel count for improving image quality for printing! For hand held prints 300 DPI is the minim. Larger framed prints you can get good results at 150DPI (larger than 8 by 10), poster size or larger you can get away with 72 DPI. So for a 4 by 5 inch print the minim image size is 1200 by 1500 pixels and a 8 by 10 is 2400 by 3000 pixels. You have to have good images to start with, in focus (sharp) good contrast and saturated color, the images can be enhanced in Photoshop or an other photo editing program but the original must have it, you can't turn a old nag into a silk purse.

Problem 2) The Color. If you having color problem you will have to calibrate the monitor to your printing system. This is done using a sensor on your monitor and on printed output from the calibration program so the colors on the monitor match the colors on your printed output. NOTE: this will be needed to be repeated on each different printing paper you use.

Also if you are having color problems. ONLY use OEM ink. If you are using an Epson printer only use Epson ink cartridges. Yes the no-name ink is cheaper but if will cause major color problems. You can use NO-NAME in your non-photo printers but you install it in you photo printer you will have to recalibrate for color any time you replace an ink cartridge. The same is true for glossy and semi-glossy photo paper, only use you printers band of paper as a base to compare the other papers to. I have an Epson printer and the Costco glossy photo paper works fine in it, but the CG or was it GC paper I purchase gave a BLUE tinted print.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

hi all i need little help i m not a photographer but i want to print my own pictures any one tell me the paper name for printer i have hp 2050 ink jet printer
    sorry if i m post this is wrong section thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weddings_film View Post
    hi all i need little help i m not a photographer but i want to print my own pictures any one tell me the paper name for printer i have hp 2050 ink jet printer
    sorry if i m post this is wrong section thanks
    Purchase the HP band of photo paper. Then after selecting the print but before clicking on OK select the printer properties and select the paper type.

You have to make sure you have sufficient pixel con to give you at the size your going to print 300 dpi for snap shots and 150 dpi for larger prints to be framed (grater than 8 by 10)
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Thread Information