Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

oxy-alkaline batteries for digital cameras?

The new Kodak C315 digital camera I just purchased states within the manual that I should not use alkaline batteries. It states I can use oxy-alkaline batteries or NiMH batteries instead.

Is there really any reason I should not use alkaline batteries (e.g., it'll damage my camera)?

Re: oxy-alkaline batteries for digital cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by NatCh
    The new Kodak C315 digital camera I just purchased states within the manual that I should not use alkaline batteries. It states I can use oxy-alkaline batteries or NiMH batteries instead.

Is there really any reason I should not use alkaline batteries (e.g., it'll damage my camera)?
    It should not damage the camera as the voltage would be the same as oxy-alkaline batteries but the battery life will suck. I think there weried about battery leakage. The older Kodak Digital Cameras would eat batteries.

Just get two sets of NiMH batteries and a quick charger. You will be much happier as they will out last many sets of alkaline batters, I've had two sets going on 6 years and there still going strong.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NatCh

There is sometimes a question of internal resistance. Same voltage, different internal resistance can sometimes cause trouble. If the manual states you should not use Alkaline batteries, I would follow the advice.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Alkaline has higher internal resistance than NiMH, so the NiMH will deliver a higher current into the same load. I guess then the alkaline batteries just can't porvide the power the camera needs, and the voltage drops, and it shuts down before the batteries are totally flat.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Alkaline has higher internal resistance than NiMH, so the NiMH will deliver a higher current into the same load. I guess then the alkaline batteries just can't porvide the power the camera needs, and the voltage drops, and it shuts down before the batteries are totally flat.
    Yes that is what happens. The batteries are only good for a few photos then install new batteries. It will not damage the camera but you may lose photos as the batteries may die during the writing of the photo file to the media.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information