Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Ouch my neck!

Ouch my neck!

Lugging around my 20D with 24-70 f/2.8L lens has worn me down. I use the standard neck strap that came with the 20D, and it's just not cutting it for comfort. I'm a lightweight though, 5' 11" and 150 pounds (with the camera around my neck, ha).

I've been scouring around the net, and I think I'd like to try out the Op/Tech Pro Strap, but am confused about connectors and such, I can't find a good solid picture of each so I can determine what I need.

Can anyone clue me in about which is the "standard" style to get for my type of camera, and also, any feedback regarding the neck strap, or throw in some comments about alternatives?

Thanks a bundle -

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Ouch my neck!

I just did a quick search, and it looks to me like this strap would hook to your camera just like the strap you have now, but I'm not positive.

When I carry my camera (DRebel w/battery pack) I almost NEVER wear it around my neck. I throw the strap over one shoulder. That way my neck isn't supporiting all that weight.

Another option is a harness that criss crosses your back. That would also take the strain off of your neck. Something like this.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I don't usually keep a camera around my neck either - it gets uncomfortable quickly. I put it over my left shoulder, which is used to having some weight on it after playing bass guitar for so many years... One tip, with a fairly good sized lens point the lens towards you with the back of the camera facing out. The weight of the lens will angle it down and it's a little easier to carry this way. This works really well with bigger lenses like an 80-200 f2.8, but might help here too.

I have a 10D, a battery pack, and both a 28-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L. Carrying all that around is a challange. What I did was: I bought a wide neoprene strap, for the camera, which I usually have set long enough to hang diagonally across my body. That way, the strap is on my right shoulder, and the camera/lens is on my left hip. I can pull it up to shoot without too much difficulty.

I also bought a big bag with a waist belt on it (Lowpro), so I have the bag around my waist with the other lens in it. In this way, I can carry the weight on my waist or across my body. A 10D, battery grip, 70-200 2.8L and 550EX flash weighs a lot, but is managable for me using the method I describe.

Oddly enough, I also have a wide neoprene strap on my (almost weightless) Canon Pro1. It makes it easier to carry around and is preferable to the strap that came with the camera. I generally always replace the included strap as it seems more decorative than useful.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i use a hand strap. I find it works pretty well, plus you get to work out those biceps when lifting it! But I have a neoprene neck strap also, but I just don't use it. I find if something happens quickly, it's better to have it in my hand than anywhere else because i'm ready for it. But that may just be my preference, I can understand why someone wouldn't want to hold it. I carry a 1d wih a 70-200 by the way.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I use a lowepro neoprene neckstrap on both my D2HS and D200 with lenses of all sizes (see signature for an idea). I couldn't be happier. It comes equipped with attachments for modern cameras as well as old cameras, and has nice easy to disconnect release clips- but they are definitely secure when you don't want them to come off. I generally only remove them for macros on tripod.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information