Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    this isn't the old PR anymore

Off shoe flash cable vs wireless transmitter on a stroboframe

Hi-
    I just picked up a stroboframe from a friend and was planning on purchasing the canon off shoe camera cord 2. I shoot a canon 10d and use the 420 ex flash. For a while i have been considering purchasing the 550 ex in order to gain wireless control of the 420 as well, primarily for use in sports photography.

So now, i am wondering, if i were to purchase the st-e2 wireless transmitter, would it be able to trigger a flash on the stroboframe directly above it. I feel like this uses IR and not Rf to communicate and therefore wouldn't be able to trigger the flash unless it was line of sight.

i My final question boils down to...can i use the wireless transmitter to trigger my 420 ex while on the stroboframe or should i go low tech and buy the cable.

Thanks very much

-pete moran

I just tried it with STE2, stroboframe,420EX and canon G3. The flash fires fine.

Thread Information