Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Nikon D50 memory card probs

Hiya!

I am new to the D-slr world and i am having a problem.
    When i purchased my D50 i bought a SanDisk ultra II 2.0 gb sd memory card to go with it. Now i am aware that the D50 users manual says that you can only use up to 1gb cards, but there are a few posts here and an article in digital photo magazine here in England that say you can use 2gb cards. So i thought that i would buy one.
    This is where the problem starts. I have inserted the card, made sure the lock is off and i get a flashing message (CHA) that comes up when the camera is turned on.Also i am getting a message on the lcd screen that says "this card cannot be used" I have followed the instructions on how to format the card via the cameras menu system and even after formatting i still can not use the card.
    Now the question is, have i bought the wrong type of card, am i doing something wrong, or is the card faulty?
    It would be nice to know whats wrong before i send the card back to amazon.
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Rob

P.S. I have checked the san disk website and there is a compatabilty page where you can check what cards will work with your camera. The card i have bought is actually recommended by sandisk for the d50. Also when the camera is connected up to the pc i have the removable disk icon come up on the "my computer" page but when i click on it i get a message that says, please insert a disk? It seems like the card doesn't exsist? i am thinking more and more that the card itself is to blame as i have a kingston 512mb card that works absolutely fine with the camera.

Re: Nikon D50 memory card probs

I too have the D50 and currently use a RiDATA 2gb PRO 150x card and have not had a lick of problems with it .. I think the card you have is to blame ... return it for a new card ...

have you tried it in anything else ???
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Re: Nikon D50 memory card probs

Hi Rob,
    I had the same problem with the same hardware until I fornatted the SD on the PC using FAT32. Once formatted do not reformat on the D50.
    If you haven't returned the Sandisk yet, try this out first.
    Hope it works for you too.
    Peter

Thread Information