Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Newer Filters - Hoya HD

Has anyone done much of a comparison of the new Hoya HD filters to some of the more familiar high quality filters? I'm mostly interested in their new C-PL HD filter, as it allows a lot more light through than their previous Pro line of C-PL filters, and seems to be rated as on par or better than other like Singh-Ray, but there aren't too many reviews to substantiate this yet... The best SR one is also a warming filter, and I'd prefer to stay neutral if I can..

I just picked up a a regular Hoya HD UV filter to check out. At first glance, it really seems sharper than my Rodenstock UV filters... I would do a side by side comparison, but they are not the same diameter, meaning I'm testing on different lenses... Not really fair... The lens for the Hoya HD filter is of better quality to start with too... Oh well...

So, has anyone else looked into these yet? Have any opinions? or do I get to guinea pig these myself?

- G

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Newer Filters - Hoya HD

Well I haven't purchased a filter since before the HD line. I have Pro-1 filters that I'm quite happy with, and it sounds like the HD line is some really quality stuff. You are the guinea pig unless some others here have already tried them. Look forward to hearing more about them.

Re: Newer Filters - Hoya HD

Well, lucky me I guess. I'll let you know what I experience once I pick one up. I have a cheap Tiffen CPL for my wide angle lens, so I would expect to see a good difference upgrading that one to any of the quality coated lenses...

I picked up the Hoya HD UV to protect my recently acquired Minolta 80-200mm f2.8 high speed lens. Unfortunately this lens doesn't lend itself to easy use of CPL's due to the front rotating upon focus and no easy access with the hood on...

Still, if anyone else has some input, let me know your thoughts/experience...

Thread Information