Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

What do you carry your lenses in

I am looking around for something that I can put in my car and keep my lenses in. I'm looking for suggestions that don't cost an arm and a leg. It will be used in the car or to bring them into the house, I do not do thing like hiking or bike riding.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: What do you carry your lenses in

I hope you don't mean to leave your lenses unattended in your car. Bad idea to leave anything expensive in your car.

My lenses are just like the rest of my gear.

- When I'm at home everything is in a big steel case with a padlock that is too big and heavy for a thief to carry off alone.
    - When I'm out with my gear I take just what I'm going to need and no more in the right bag for the job - usually a Billingham shoulderbag but if I need more I have a couple of Lowepro backpacks which are easier on my back and shoulder.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

What I am looking for is something to keep my lenses in so when I go out shooting I can grab my camera and a case with my lenses in it so I can choose which lens I want to use while I am out shooting.

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeff, I have several different bags that I have tried some backpacks, shoulder, or hip. The two bags that I use most are my ThinkTank Speed Racer v2.0 or the ThinkTank City Walker 20. The City Walker is a lighter weight shoulder bag. I use this bag as an every day bag or for events like weddings, birthday parties, or places that I have a secure location that I can leave the bag and not worry about it walking off with a new owner. With this bag I am able to carry my 70-200 f/2.8, 10-20 wide, 50 f/1.4 prime and my speedlite with diffuser. With this I am not able to put the camera in the bag but I usually would have that on my strap with the 24-70 mounted. This setup takes care of most situations I need and makes it easy to grab and go if I have to go shoot with short notice. There is also room in the bag for extra batteries, cards, pens and notepad, and camera/lens care gear. I would think this would be in line with what it sounds like you are looking for. My ThinkTank speed demon is a similar bag just a little heavier weight material and is able to be a shoulder or hip bag (or hip bag with shoulder strap for extra support ) I usually only break this out when I will not have a place to stash my gear and will have to carry all my crap with me. The hip belt helps out with that as all that crap can get a little heavy if I am going to be at the track or other full day event. I have a few Pelican hard cases that I use very rarely but are nice if traveling and there is the potential for stuff to get knocked around. Could be nice if you are working out of your trunk and can pick and choose what you want and then go shoot. You could store the lenses in the case at home nd when you want to go shoot grab the case and throw it in the trunk of your car and head out. This would not work so well if you will need to carry more than the mounted lens when away from the car.

I do have two back pack bags I use on occasion. My ThinkTank Street Walker Pro and the Clik Elite Bottle Rocket. The ThinkTank works well for when I travel for bringing a lot of my usual gear and fits in over head compartment of a plane. The Clik is great for mountain biking, Hiking, snowboarding, has h20 bladder and extra storage area (jacket, hat, snacks, etc). Sounds like these may be a little more than what you need.

Hope this info was helpful and not to overwhelming. I know I could get by with a lot less but I get very upset when I have to fuss with gear or "make do". When I am out shooting for pay I want to know where my stuff is and be able to concentrate on what I am there for. And hey lets be honest buying gear is fun.

Drew.

I use basically three different containers depending on the activity. My understanding here is you mean shooting inside, or close to the car.

For the early mornings before work, I have this kit always ready to go.

Bird Kit by PWhite214, on Flickr

Birding Kit by PWhite214, on Flickr

I picked up the case at a thrift store for around $12, then modified the foam cutouts with a modeling knife of fit. I always have a battery charger in my truck, with couple of batteries, so I can just grab it and go.

It is small enough to hide on the rear floorboard, covered with a rain jacket or something.

I ordered, and just received some 'pick and pluck' foam to replace the old stuff.

Phil

Drew, I replied and thanked you for all the information you replied with but for some reason I see it is not here, so many thanks again for all the information.

Phil, this is more on the line I was thinking of and actually have one very similar already. I you want something to grab and go with when I am out in my car shooting. All my lenses won't fit in one case and I was thinking of looking around for something else but I realized if I just make room for my four bigger lenses that if I take one of them out to use a smaller lens can be put in it's place, so I think I am good with what I have after thinking about it.

Thanks everyone for your input. Jeff

I installed the new foam this morning.

New Foam Installed by PWhite214, on Flickr

Ready to go by PWhite214, on Flickr

I ordered the foam from the Foam Factory, The Foam Factory, Packaging Foam, Charcoal Foam, Pick N Pluck

The shipping was more than one sheet of the foam, so I ordered three so I have some for future projects.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PWhite214 View Post
    I installed the new foam this morning.

New Foam Installed by PWhite214, on Flickr

Ready to go by PWhite214, on Flickr

I ordered the foam from the Foam Factory, The Foam Factory, Packaging Foam, Charcoal Foam, Pick N Pluck

The shipping was more than one sheet of the foam, so I ordered three so I have some for future projects.

Phil
    Looks good, that's what i want.

Phil, Thanks for the info on "The Foam Factory". I have wanted to get new foam for my Pelican Cases but they want $50 for foam. TFF is 1/3 that price.

Drew

Glad I could help out.

Phil

Thread Information