Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

new body Dynax 500si -> 700si OR 9xi

Hey hello, I new here...

I started with photographing when I got a camera from my aunt. It is an Minolta dynax 500si.
    I bought some secondhand lenses (Minolta 28-85 and a sigma 70-210 high speed)

But know I want to buy a “new” secondhand body, buget is around €130, I did some research and I have two bodies to choose:

- Minolta Maxxum 700si
    http://www.camerareview.com/template...?camera_id=116
    nice body with some nice features

- Minolta 9xi
    http://www.camerareview.com/template...?camera_id=304

semi prof. Body with some extreme features;
    disadvantage: weird chip card (do you really need those things?)

Hope you can help me with the choice?
    Last edited by hilbren; 06-19-2005 at 04:10 AM.

Re: new body Dynax 500si -> 700si OR 9xi

Hello and welcome to the site, hilbren. I don't know if you looked at the camera reviews on this site, but all of those cameras are listed with plenty of reviews. All of those cameras are out-of-production? So they're listed on an archive page. And since Konica and Minolta merged, they're listed as Konica Minolta cameras, now. Here's a link to that review page:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...3105_0crx.aspx

According to the last 700si review, that camera also uses the chips. Since it's been a while since they made those bodies, I'd be worried about getting replacements. And they're small so they'll be easy to lose.

Unless your current body is a problem, it might be best to keep it and keep saving. Lenses are the best place to invest your money, anyway. If you really do need a new body, I'd recommend trying to buy something newer than the si cameras.

I hope that helps.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The 600si is a great body. No chips required. I bought mine used from KEH about 5 years ago and it still takes great images with the 50mm or most Tamron zooms. Instuction manuals are still around.

3 days ago sombody offert me a Dynax 800si for €150

so I bought it !!
    it's incredebly fast compared to the 500si, and it has so many fuctions (i have to try them all!!)

O, and another question, I have a 28-85mm lens from minolta, it's made for manual and for autofocus. So the lens is focusing quite heavy, is there a way to make it focus a bit lighter?

Thread Information