Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need help identifying/finding value of lens

I inherited an old Canon t90 film camera and a ton of lenses to go with it. I'm probably going to keep it (at least for a while) and play around with it but some of the lenses are just stuff that I'll never use.

One lense in particular I'm looking to sell on craigslist, but am having a hard time finding a value for it.

Around the lens it identifies itself as an Asanuma Auto-Tele 1:6.3 f=400mm No. 112168

Now, I can't find any previous listings of people selling this lens anywhere. My understanding of Asanuma is that they're basically the same company as Tokina, and the Tokina equivalent of this lens is selling for $300-$400 on ebay. Should I be looking to sell this lens for about the same, or far less? It is in great shape physically with no scratches or anything, but it looks like there is some dust in the lens.

Here are some photos of the lens in question:
    http://www.clan-loh.com/images/camera/IMG_8460.JPG
    http://www.clan-loh.com/images/camera/IMG_8466.JPG
    http://www.clan-loh.com/images/camera/IMG_8467.JPG

Thanks.

Re: Need help identifying/finding value of lens

When I worked in a camera shop that traded second hand gear I probably would have paid you $5 Australian for it and asked for $50 but been happy with $10 and that is assuming that it doesn't have any fungus or lifting coatings and there is no obvious damage to the aperture blades etc. It looks like a screw mount lens and It doesn't have particularly good optics so they really aren't worth anything as not many people still use their screw mount cameras. If you really need a more accurate price try getting you hands on a copy of McKeown's price guide.

I would be extremely surprised if a Tokina 400mm in FD mount reached $400 on EBay. I found one going for 25 Euros. Are you sure you're not referring to a more modern lens in EOS mount?

The FD mount was discontinued a long time ago and is a dead end, no upwards compatibility to the EOS series.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

If that lens is in good shape, it's worth maybe $25 US. If it's not in good shape, it's effectively worthless. Basically, it's an off brand (Asanuma lenses are definitely NOT worth as much as Tokina lenses), it's in an obsolete lens mount, and it's manual operation only.

Thread Information