Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need a card reader

Killing the battery everytime I download is getting old. Can anyone recommend a good one? I don't know if there is a difference between one or another. Shooting the 10d

Thanks

adina

Liz

I have a

Lexar specifically for Compact Flash. It's great - fast. And it was less than $20. I don't think you can go wrong with a Lexar - but honestly, I've never heard a complaint about any of them. With this you just put the card in it, nothing else. Just don't remove if the green light is blinking. You may use your photos! Haven't done it yet.

Liz ;)

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Killing the battery everytime I download is getting old. Can anyone recommend a good one? I don't know if there is a difference between one or another. Shooting the 10d

Thanks

adina

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

SanDisk ImageMate 8-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader...

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Killing the battery everytime I download is getting old. Can anyone recommend a good one? I don't know if there is a difference between one or another. Shooting the 10dThanks adina
    Adina, I don't know your budget, and yes you can get a good CF reader for about $20, but for only $20 more or so, I decided on this SanDisk 8-in-1 Reader. It reads CompactFlash Types I and II, SmartMedia, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick, and Memory Stick PRO media.

I like it because it seems to cover just about all the memory cards curretly being used by today's cameras. If you're absolutely sure you're only going to use CF cards, I suppose there's no need for the extra capability. Then again, you also never know when a friend may ask you to download something from a different type of card.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Agghh! I had forgotten I posted this!

Thanks Steve and Liz, for your help. Right now I don't really have a budget, as I wasn't sure what these started at, but I think that I'm probably going to go with the 8-in-1 thing. Eventually I want to get a digital Elph, and I don't think that takes CF cards. I think it would be nice to have something I could fit in my purse for those time a big bag isn't practical.

Thanks

adina

Thread Information