Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

ND filters and waterfalls ??

Hi all,

Typically, what ND filter is good to have to shoot long exposure waterfalls? I've been using my polarizer, and I don't think it slows the shutter enough (and it changes the color too). I hope to just buy one filter.... Thus, assume partly cloudy conditions.

Many thanks to those who reply,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: ND filters and waterfalls ??

I keep a Cokin P154 in my bag that seems to work nicely for the type of shot you are talking about. If I remember correctly, it's an 8 stop ND filter. Not the top of the line filter, but it gets the job done. I also will throw on a polarizer if it's really bright out. It does change the colors a bit, but it helps to take the glare off the water if it's pretty bright out too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ever seen this one by Singh-Ray? I've tried it out and it's pretty cool, but expensive.

It's a hard question to answer, actually. It depends on the light, film speed, how fast the water is moving, and your own taste for how much it should blur. One thing, a polarizer shouldn't change colors. It will make the white areas of the water look different, but if you're having color shift problems you might want to look at getting a better polarizer.

In some cases, you can get two stops or a little more out of a polarizer but that depends on direct sun (which you probably don't want) and you'll have to point the camera a certain way to get the most benefit.

I'm not usually a fan of stacking filters, but a two-stop ND and a polarizer are what I have. I'll use the ND, and then if I need a little more then I'll use the polarizer too. That usually works well (along with about f11), but I usually try to do stuff like that on overcast day at ISO speeds of 50 or 100.

learning member

Tim,
    I've used a cokin system filter holder w/ polorizer mounted to a polorizing filter screwd to the lens,
    This allows for variable ND effect from I think 3-8 stops. You change the filter density by rotating the filters. Maybe not what you had in mind, but pretty cool and usefull.
    Mark.

That Singh-Ray looks pretty cool.
    Plus, the Singh-Ray's are known to be truly neutral. There have been reports of many other brands giving a colour cast

Thread Information