Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Just me and my camera

Question ND Filter in portrait photography

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding ND Filters. I have been reading they are very good for waterfalls; outdoor photos; but I also heard they work well with portrait photography. I have looked up some basic/simple videos explaining how I would used it when taking a picture of someone, but haven't found anything useful. Can someone please share with me how to use an ND filter when taking a portrait?

thanks
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Re: ND Filter in portrait photography

The best way to fully understand its usefulness in portraiture is to experiment with it. But think of it in terms of having total control of ambient lighting. you can stop down the background really effectively, but maintain a shallow depth of field while using studio lighting or flash to light the subject.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

I use ND filters to reduce the light, obviouss right

this allows to use the lens wide open, or wider open, where if the filter is not used the correct exposure with the desired wide aperture may force the speed over the maximum possible in your camera

I have also used in combination with flash if ambient takes the exposure speed over 1/250 or whatever sync speed from your camera an ND filter can help get into the speed range the falsh/camera can sync correctly

An example using the ND to get the speed under 1/250 so the flash can sync (triggerred with a Radio)

3 stop ND filter
    1/160 f/2.8 85mm iso 50 sb700 flash 2m left of the model at about 1/4 power

Just me and my camera

thank you for your replies

that is a great photo, armando!
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

You can make your holiday much more magical. If you need to capture some holiday, or shoot a video. I know exactly how to help you, because I myself used the services of https://alyissalandriphoto.com They will make a great contribution to your holiday, because capturing an important moment is very important.

Thread Information