Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question My first air show...what lens to bring?

I've never been to an airshow before but I'm a assuming it will be a great photo opportunity assuming I get a nice vantage point.

My Canon 100-300mm doesn't work with my DSLRs so I'm going to rent a lens.

WHAT LENS SHOULD I RENT?? 100-400mm?

Bring my TRIPOD? MONOPOD? or just HANDHELD?

Any tips? Thanks!

Van Nuys Airport’s Rockin’ AirFest 2006
    Brings You Aviation’s Living History

http://www.lawa.org/vny/vnySpecialEvent.cfm
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: My first air show...what lens to bring?

A 100-400 will give you a lot of versatility and would be my choice. (though I have shot them using a 300mm fixed)

They may or may not let you bring in the tripod or the monopod (check ahead of time). I typically hand-hold for the air shows here and there's generally plenty of light.

Mid field is a good place to shoot from as that's generally where the action is. Either end of the runways (approach or departure) can be good for some of the unusual shots.

Static displays also offer some interesting photo ops too, especially candids of the people around them. (It helps to have someone save your vantage point along the flight line while you go and take in the static displays)

Have fun - looking forward to seeing the results.

(My next scheduled airshow will be in Nov in Vegas - though I'm thinking about the balloon classic that will be held in Goodyear AZ, Oct this year)

Tim

I would rent a DSLR Minolta body in order to play around with the hand holdable, autofocus, 500mm miror lens stabilized with the Minolta body anti-shake system.

Ronnoco

I think you'll find the 500mm to have too much magnification. when I was shooting with my 300 fixed, I missed some really great photos because I couldn't pull back to capture the shots. Since then, I only shoot with a 200-400 (and at times the 200 may even be too much)

I have a couple of good heritage flight pictures, and one that would have been great, if I could have pulled back below the 200mm. As it was, I lost part of an A-10 wing and part of a mustang wing in the picture. This was a flight of an A-10, an F-15, and two P-51D's

Too much magnification can definitely hinder you at an air show.

And once the flying starts, you really don't want to be changing lenses.

My two cents - your mileage may vary.

Tim

I would probably want a variable zoom. I don't think I would have enough credit to guarantee two high end lens rentals plus a another camera body. But Ronocco does give me an important reminder to possibly rent a lens with image stabilization. My recent portraits tell me hand holding is not very good and to add a 400mm would make me worse off. I think canon goes up to 300mm with IS but Sigma has a 400mm with OS. I'll see what they offer.

I called the location and they said I can bring a tripod. Hopefully she is right and the people at the gate won't sweat me.

Thanks for the great advice. Hope to post something good. I should at least have good shots of the grounded planes.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by TLovern

(My next scheduled airshow will be in Nov in Vegas - though I'm thinking about the balloon classic that will be held in Goodyear AZ, Oct this year)

Tim
    Sorry for the long wait Tim.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Canon goes to 400MM with IS, 100-400 zoom.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

A 100-400 will give you a lot of versatility

I agree. Go with the 100-400. A tripod probably won't be of much use, unless you've got a Wimberly or Kirk Cobra Head. I usually handhold my airshow shots.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

La Ferte Allais

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    I've never been to an airshow before but I'm a assuming it will be a great photo opportunity assuming I get a nice vantage point.

My Canon 100-300mm doesn't work with my DSLRs so I'm going to rent a lens.

WHAT LENS SHOULD I RENT?? 100-400mm?

Bring my TRIPOD? MONOPOD? or just HANDHELD?

Any tips? Thanks!

Van Nuys Airport’s Rockin’ AirFest 2006
    Brings You Aviation’s Living History

http://www.lawa.org/vny/vnySpecialEvent.cfm
    I have a vintage air show next weekend (I hope - my planning is rather full). I will take (for my APS DSLR:

- an 18-70 for the shots on the ground
    - a high-performance 80-200 f2.8 for the shots in the air
    - a stepladder (assuming I can get it in the trunk of the new car)

The stepladder is much more useful than a tripod. It allows me to get above the crowds on the ground and have a slightly plunging view on the vintage aircraft so that I have them surrounded by grass rather than with the skyline in the middle. For the shots in the air it's less important, except for the low level flypast of the Flying Fortress and stuff like that.

I just hope it doesn't rain.

Charles

Re: La Ferte Allais

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    - a high-performance 80-200 f2.8 for the shots in the air
    - a stepladder (assuming I can get it in the trunk of the new car)

The stepladder is much more useful than a tripod. It allows me to get above the crowds on the ground and have a slightly plunging view on the vintage aircraft so that I have them surrounded by grass rather than with the skyline in the middle. For the shots in the air it's less important, except for the low level flypast of the Flying Fortress and stuff like that.
    Hmmmm....step ladder? I think I can do that. I've got one.

So far, the tripod idea doesn't seem like a requirement. It will be daytime and I'll probably get 1/1000 and above. I guess a tripod would limit range? Might be good. Less to carry.....I guess monopod wouldn't hurt to try.

So 200mm isn't short for you? Interestiing varied opinions on the focal length. I guess there are pros and cons on getting the 400 vs the 200. I can hand hold the 200 but I've never held a 400. I will have to learn on the spot. 100-400 will obviously give more flexibility.

Thanks for the advice.

I hope you get to share some of those shots soon after the event!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Sorry for the long wait Tim.
    That makes two of us...

I might try to make it to your air show - I do have some southwest tickets I could use...

I'll have to think about this.

in any event have fun.

Tim

Re: La Ferte Allais

So 200mm isn't short for you?
    The last timle I went I was shooting film and the 200 was too short for a plane flying past at altitude. This year I'm shooting a DSLR so I have the field of view of a 300. We'll see how it goes.

Don't forget the sun hat and suncream. Each year this is my first long open air event and it's overcast so I don't think about the UV coming through the clouds and each year I get sunburnt. Really.

Charles

A 100-400L with IS is definitely a good choice. Be aware, however, that it is heavy and the push-pull zoom design makes it cumbersome for shooting "up" at something. I eventually got rid of mine, trading it for a 35-350L.

I shot with a 70-200 2.8L (with a 1.4 TC) at the last air show I went to. It worked very well, allowing a good zoom perspective on large and small planes. For web output, I think a 70-300 IS would be a suitable lens.

Here's one I took with the 70-200 2.8L and 1.4 TC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first air show...what lens to bring?-untitled-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lutz
    A 100-400L with IS is definitely a good choice. Be aware, however, that it is heavy and the push-pull zoom design makes it cumbersome for shooting "up" at something. I eventually got rid of mine, trading it for a 35-350L.

I shot with a 70-200 2.8L (with a 1.4 TC) at the last air show I went to. It worked very well, allowing a good zoom perspective on large and small planes. For web output, I think a 70-300 IS would be a suitable lens.

Here's one I took with the 70-200 2.8L and 1.4 TC.
    Thanks Stephen. I'll keep that in mind. That's a really cool shot.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Old School Questions...

Just in case, as a PLAN B, what film should I use for the event.

In case I can not rent the proper lens, I won't let that stop me.

I'll just bring my old A2 with my 100-300 USM and do that instead.

If I do this, what ISO do you recommend I buy? 400? or faster?

Thanks!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by TLovern
    I think you'll find the 500mm to have too much magnification. when I was shooting with my 300 fixed, I missed some really great photos because I couldn't pull back to capture the shots. Since then, I only shoot with a 200-400 (and at times the 200 may even be too much)

I have a couple of good heritage flight pictures, and one that would have been great, if I could have pulled back below the 200mm. As it was, I lost part of an A-10 wing and part of a mustang wing in the picture. This was a flight of an A-10, an F-15, and two P-51D's

Too much magnification can definitely hinder you at an air show.

And once the flying starts, you really don't want to be changing lenses.

My two cents - your mileage may vary.

Tim
    From what you are telling me, it sounds that you are closer to the planes, than some of the air shows in Canada, so you are probably right in your assessment of lenses.

Ronnoco

Good point, I hadn't though of that aspect. The last air show in Canada I attended was Abottsford in '86, during the world's fair.

I was going to go to one in Winnipeg last year but they cancelled it.

Tim

What is the recommended film ISO in case I need to use my film camera with my 100-300mm lens? I can't use it with my DSLRs. This is just backup in case I can't rent anything.

Thanks!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I went to the Van Nuys Air show today and will be posting pics to this thread in Viewfinder.

Today's Van Nuys Air Show

It was a challenge to shoot the planes in flight but I hope to do better next time.

I ended up renting the Canon 70-300 IS USM. I should've rented the 100-400 but the budget is a bit tight right now. I didn't use a tripod or a monopod as others anticipated. It would not have been useful anyhow.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
    Last edited by poker; 06-11-2006 at 08:54 PM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thread Information