Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Motion sensor

Motion sensor

I have a
    Pentax *ist D
    and I was wondering if it has a motion sensor because I have set up a bird feeder and want the camera to take a picture whenever it senses a motion.

Help?

Re: Motion sensor

I don't think that any DSLR has a motion sensor. The higher Nikon DSLR's try to track subject movement by observing the changes in colour on the 1005-zone exposure sensor in order to know which autofocus point to use, but that doesn't trigger an exposure

I don't think that any point-and-shoots sense motion. I noticed this weekend that my Sony Smartphone does face recognition and chooses that zone to focus on. I believe that some point-and-shoots are triggered off my the subject smiling.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

You will have to purchase a wild life camera motion senor, or have one made for you or make one yourself.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You could try something like the Zigview. I don't know how well they work or if they will work on your particular camera, but they have a motion sensor built into them.

http://www.argraph.com/Zigview/page1/Zigview_page1.htm

There are other motion sensor triggers on the market, but they aren't cheap.

A much more inexpensive option would be a trail camera that you can pick up at just about any decent department or sporting good store.

I had a 35mm trail camera given to me a few months ago. My plan is to some day try to take it apart and build a motion trigger I can use on a DSLR but who knows if I will ever get to it...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information