Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Decisions...

Decisions...

Hi guys! I'm finally getting into I guess you could say "serious" photography as in no more 30 dollar cameras for a couple quick shots. I'm moving into SLR's. What would be a good beginner's camera Rebel TI, K2, Maxxum 5, N80?

Quote Originally Posted by peccato
    Hi guys! I'm finally getting into I guess you could say "serious" photography as in no more 30 dollar cameras for a couple quick shots. I'm moving into SLR's. What would be a good beginner's camera Rebel TI, K2, Maxxum 5, N80?

Depends on what your going to shoot.
    Sports? if so what kind?
    Nature?
    Portrait?
    Are you going to have photos for sale or published? if so, what size prints, type of publishing? in this case size dose matter!
    Or just shooting for fun?

Until these questions are answered, and more possibly before a good judgement can be made that isn't wasting your money.

John

It's hurricane season... again...

What I use...

I'm not saying that this is what you should buy, because as the previous poster stated, it depends on what you are looking for. However, I will say that I am happy with the Rebel TI thus far. I am a beginner as well, and my only complaint is that it is somewhat difficult for me to change the aperture settings... I'm sure it will become easier with time. Everything else is great! Good luck!

I am going to be shooting Portraits and nature in my spare time but mostly portraits and random people. And my pictures will mostly just be for me and for sale but not like published in a magazine or something unless I get lucky.

Well I had already really narrowed it down to these two and a friend helped me to make sure these were the final two for my decision:

Canon EOS Rebel Ti
    Maxxum 5

Again for portrait and nature

Generally, you're probably best to stick with Canon or Nikon because they have more digital options. Minolta is coming out with one and Pentax has one, but the "big two" have more experience with it. Something to keep in mind if you stick with it and decide to add a digital body some day. As a Nikon shooter, the N80 is a pretty good camera - it can be used in a fully automatic mode but has full manual controls as well - including a spot meter.

Oh ok. Because I was reading something and it seemed like it was only automatic. So we are back to

Rebel Ti
    N80

*Maxxum 5 was out as of this morning anyone*

The N80 seems interesting but like its more aimed towards the proffesional. Is this true? Or will it work for the beginner. The Ti seems more user friendly as well. Also can you use other lenses beside EF's with the Rebel Ti
    Last edited by peccato; 03-23-2004 at 05:25 PM.

The N80 is maybe an "advanced amateur" camera, I guess. You can use it in program mode for auto everything but also completely manual with a spot meter, center weighted meter or matrix meter. Like I said, I don't know much about Canon so I don't know how it compares but there are other Nikons as well like the N75.

Yes, I was also slightly considering the N75. However, is it true it has no manual (I still want to at least be able to learn the manyal settings)

Also, does anyone know how the Ti stacks up with the N80?

Frequent Lurker
    I think that if you are looking at the N80, a more comparable Canon would be the Elan 7 or 7E. The N80 is well above the price range of the others that you list and more in line with the Elan series.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.
    Terry

Difference between F80/Elan and F75/Rebel

I just spent a week shooting with the F80 and the F75. Each time I was struck by how much bigger and brighter the F80 viewfinder is, and how much easier it is to compose. I like the F75 but I find I'm straining to see detail like the expression on people's faces. It's really a capable camera but it's not aimed at the advanced amateur/low-end pro market.

I've never checked out the Rebel Ti but I think that the viewfinder is comparable with that of the F75 - it's a set of mirrors, not a pentaprism.

Charles

So really if N80 was one of my choices it should be

N80 vs. Elan 7/E
    Rebel Ti vs. n75

So really if N80 was one of my choices it should be

N80 vs. Elan 7/E
    Rebel Ti vs. n75

Does anyone know where to find the lowest priced N80 kit (at least body & lense) and/or Elane 7/7e kit (at least body & lense) can be found for from a reputable dealer?

Try this...

Does anyone know where to find the lowest priced N80 kit (at least body & lense) and/or Elane 7/7e kit (at least body & lense) can be found for from a reputable dealer?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

This retailer seems to be highly recommended, and prices are good.

I can get a kit for the Elan 7 for 348.00
    The N80 for 369 + rebate=319.00

I've been slightly leaning towards the N80 but haven't gotten much info on Elan 7.
    Is it ok for a beginer that I could keep for awhile?

After reviewing of information and comparisons. I've made my choice and will order the Elan 7 with 28-80 lense. (kit from beachcamera.com) batteries, etc. Can't wait for it to come. How long is shipping from beachcamera for ground. It says ships in 1-2 days but then it says 7-10 days

Liz

Cool Good Choice!

I had the Elan7e until I sold it to get the Digital Rebel and it is one FINE camera. You will love it! It has many wonderful features. You can take it right out of the box and use it in auto. You can also use it on manual....or places in between, like aperture/shutter priority, and many more features.

Enjoy! And I hope you'll post some of your work.

Liz

After reviewing of information and comparisons. I've made my choice and will order the Elan 7 with 28-80 lense. (kit from beachcamera.com) batteries, etc. Can't wait for it to come. How long is shipping from beachcamera for ground. It says ships in 1-2 days but then it says 7-10 days

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I had the Elan7e until I sold it to get the Digital Rebel and it is one FINE camera. You will love it! It has many wonderful features. You can take it right out of the box and use it in auto. You can also use it on manual....or places in between, like aperture/shutter priority, and many more features.

Enjoy! And I hope you'll post some of your work.

Liz
    Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the Elan7e and the Rebel TI?

Liz

Ok........difference in specs....

I just owned the Elan7e - so I'm not familiar with the Ti. Check the specs on each and compare here.

Rebel Ti
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

Elan7e
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

You can compare the features you'd like to know about this way.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by kkraczek
    Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the Elan7e and the Rebel TI?

thanks guys. I'm ordering it tomorrow.

Thread Information