Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Monopod Advice

Kentucky Wildlife

Monopod Advice

I'm an outdoor photographer, shooting both action outdoor scenes and wildlife, so most of the time I need to be versatile and moble. For the largest part of this, I use a fairly heavy 200mm f/2.8 and can get good shots with it hand held. A tripod makes everything better, but for most of my shots, there isn't time to fiddle with one, so I'm shopping for a monopod and would like some reccommendations.
    Most of the time I would use it simply to stabalize horizontal shots, but I'd also like the option of quickly tilting the camera to vertical.
    I am, by the way, only 5 foot, six inches tall.

Re: Monopod Advice

Well, I often use a Canon Monopod 100 for photographing wild birds, and really like its performance. This monopod has a maximum weight capacity of 2 kilograms – the PENTAX K20D and PENTAX 200mm f2.8 ED SDM lens will fit with about 300 grams left to spare. (e.g. for external flash, hood, filters). Height is nearly 5 feet, six inches – but for monopods don't use them standing straight up, rather angled forward to obtain best effectiveness.

You won't need to fiddle around much, it has a smooth mini ball head, comfortable foam grip and a strap for the left hand. The only thing that does need a bit of fiddling is height adjusting via little (somewhat stiff) leg clamps.

I would definitely recommend this monopod, not to expensive and does what a good monopod should do. I'm sure there are other models out there, but this is the one I use and am very happy.

I have a review here.

Hope this helps, Ron...

They (such as Manfrotto/Bogen) make a relatively light, small head that does nothing but flip from horizontal to vertical. This may be all you need for a monopod. – TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks a lot, Alex. Sounds good, but I have some questions.
    Does the head flip to take vertical shots?
    What is NYIP and how can I get this tripod from them?
    And does the head feature a quick release mechanisim?

The head is a mini ball type and has a small screw-clamp for adjusting tightness/smoothness. To take vertical shots just tilt the camera sideways on either of the ball head's holder two side notches (that's right, moving the camera itself can operate the head).

NYIP is New York Institute of Photography. They had a special time-limited offer that if you enrolled they would include a "gift bundle" for no additional cost. The monopod was part of the gift bundle.

There isn't a quick-release mechanism. The camera has to be screwed on/off manually.

Kentucky Wildlife

Hey Clicker,
    Thanks. I checked out the Manfroto/Bogen website (before you posted), and they do make high quality equipment, but it's also relatively expensive. I may still decide upon them, because I've learned it does pay in the long run to buy quality. But I'm tinking in this case, with such a simple piece of equipment, I might be satisfied with the Canon Alex described. A few extra ounces and things like that don't mean much to me.

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks, Alex. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. This sounds like a good monopod at a great price. I would prefer a quick release, but for practical applications, having to screw the camers in is not that big a deal, and I presume it would be even more solid and secure than a quick release.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kruger
    Hey Clicker,
    Thanks. I checked out the Manfroto/Bogen website (before you posted), and they do make high quality equipment, but it's also relatively expensive. I may still decide upon them, because I've learned it does pay in the long run to buy quality. But I'm tinking in this case, with such a simple piece of equipment, I might be satisfied with the Canon Alex described. A few extra ounces and things like that don't mean much to me.
    Here is what I was talking about (first two). $23 for tilt head, $36 with quick release clamp and plate.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/pro...CleanList=true

Another way to go is with a bracket. Advantage is the the camera is center over the pod in both orientations. Dissadvantage= $69.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/pro...CleanList=true

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks, Alex. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
    No problem – I'm glad to help. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like...
    This sounds like a good monopod at a great price. I would prefer a quick release, but for practical applications, having to screw the camers in is not that big a deal, and I presume it would be even more solid and secure than a quick release.
    I have a Velbon CX-540 tripod with quick-release, and while it's a great feature for horizontal shots – nightmare for vertical. The camera will partially slip off, the heavier the camera, the more trouble there is. Besides, the Canon monopod can be easily unscrewed manually, no slippping off on it's own and so far I haven't gotten any of my cameras stuck either. :thumbsup:

Kentucky Wildlife

Thank you both very much. You have both helped me to make an educated choice, and I believe a very good purchase with which I will be quite satisfied.
    This is the best photographer's website I've ever found.

First I would suggest that you read this. http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3 It explains the proper uses of a monopod.

Secondly, due to your heights I would suggest the 680 from Manfrotto. It is their 4 section monopod that closes down to a shorter length for travel. It is more than tall enough for your needs. It may seem like overkill, but the whole purpose of a monopod is stability and it is only around $55. A pretty cheap investment to help get the most out of an expensive lens.

Third. I would not suggest that you use a ball head on a monopod. If you read the article in the attached link you now know that a monopod is not just a stick used to hold up a camera. If you flop a ball head over on its side for portrait mode you loose the stability that a monopod can provide. Your 200 f2.8 should have an available tripod ring I would think.

If you have one then Mount the monopod to the tripod ring and rotate the camera in the ring. That is what it is for. If you need portrait mode then either some form camera bracket like posted could be used. This would also be a very good option if you are using short glass, but it is expensive. http://www.custombrackets.com/script...p?idproduct=30

The other option would be to start moving to the Arca-swiss system for QR. It is expensive but the safest and most reliable I have ever seen. I have no worries mounting my 400mm f2.8 on a monopod on this QR clamp. http://www.tripodhead.com/products/qr-clamps-main.cfm A lens plate for you lens and you are set. http://www.tripodhead.com/products/lens-plates-main.cfm There are many companies that use the arca-swiss standard. You can buy body QR plates that make switching to portrait mode quick and easy. http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/04.html Granted it is expensive but it is a system that you really don't need a lot of components for and will last a lifetime.

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks, Gryp. As coincidence would have it, I ordered a 680 Manfrotto monopod before you posted. There were a few reasons I settled on this model, but one of them was the minimum length--not for ease of transport--but because I spend a lot of time in the woods, shooting from a sitting position, and the minimum length of this model was perfect for shooting from a sitting position. (I spent some time sitting on the floor with a retractable tape measure to determine the perfect height.) Thanks also for the outdooreyes link. It gave me a couple of alternate positions to try.
    And thanks to all of you for a great amount of help.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

...but because I spend a lot of time in the woods, shooting from a sitting position, and the minimum length of this model was perfect for shooting from a sitting position...
    Me too.

I hope you took into account that the head (and I recommend a good sturdy ball head with a quick release plate) and the height of the camera itself will add another 6"~7" to the height. Enough that you may not be able to use it while sitting.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Kentucky Wildlife

Yes, but I figured only the height of the camera (about four inches) above the listed minimum height of the monopod, with an inch or so to spare. From what I understand, the camera screws directly into the monopod head. Should work.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

From what I understand, the camera screws directly into the monopod head. Should work.
    For wildlife work, you'll need to buy a tilting head.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

drg

Ron,

You will most likely want to mount the monopod to the lens and not directly to the camera body. The ergonomics and balance is usually far superior. Depending upon what body you are using it will also put less strain on the camera body with the weight more evenly balanced at the center of gravity of a large lens unit.

Carry a monopod with all the weight hanging off of one end of a camera isn't always fun!

Finally some lighter weight bodies frequently will suffer a lens mount failure or stress from a large lens hanging off of them at odd angles for extended periods of time in the field. With a tilting, ball, quick release or other type of head for your monopod, the options become much wider as to how you use it. Sitting and using one mean you may wish to deploy a 'spike' foot and use the monopod at a slight angle too! This is easier with the lens balanced on the pod and not the camera as a fulcrum.

Happy shooting!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post in this thread sooner Ron. This spring I purchased my first monopod. I went with a Slik 381 carbon fiber monopod and I added a Bogen/Manfrotto 3229 tilting head to it. It's very compact, lightweight and strong. I really like the twist locks on the legs too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks for the additional info. I think I will eventually want to ad a ball head to my monopod, at least for shooting from a sitting position. I've tried to use my tripod as a monopod, and it works if you are shooting stright on. But shots come from all angles, and it's tough to swivel with a stationary pod and keep the field level, unless you move the whole thing, and I can't afford such movements without alerting my wild subjects in such close quarters. From those experiments using my tripod like a monopod, I already figured out the best way to shoot, both for comfort and stability, is to lean the pod into me. With a ball head, I suppose I will lose a little stability while swiveling it from side to side from this leaning position, but the amount of movement will be negligable and I believe enough stability will be maintained.
    Good point also about mounting the lens, instead of the camera, to the pod. I shoot with a 200mm, which isn't as heavy or as unwieldy as longer lenses, but it is heavy. The lens doesn't have a mounting bracket, but I suppose I can buy such an attachment.

Kentucky Wildlife

I received my Manfrotto monopod a couple of days ago and rushed out to take some evening shots. I didn't have time to get off in the woods for a real test, but got this shot of a couple of does in an isolated field, with IS off. It's been cloudy and rainy since.
    My initial impression is good. This is a sturdy pod. The adjustments are easy and quick, and they are quiet. Actually, it is easier to carry my camera, with my heavy lens, on the pod than without it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monopod Advice-does-field-small.jpg  

Thread Information