Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

3:2 aspect ratio but want 8x10 ??

Hi I need to print out some digital files on 8x10 paper. I am being forced to enter a photo show at my college lol. The problem is that my camera the Sony a700 shoots at a aspect ratio of 3:2 but reading some bits on the web on the "issue" people have had trouble printing there images on 8x10 paper without cropping it or making the image dimension's smaller relative to the paper. I do not want to crop any of my photo, in other words I want it to come out just the way I shot it. I will be using a pro lab, probably A & I to print my images, but due to the dimensions of my jpeg files, will they be able to do anything about it? What should I tell them?

Thanks

Re: 3:2 aspect ratio but want 8x10 ??

Update

I went to A&I's web site and they have a special uploading section where I can upload my images and have them print them, I tried to upload my images but it said the dpi was too low (72). I have no idea what this means and it says the least that can be accepted is 150dpi?

I don't know much about the sony camera, but how did it get to 72 to begin with?? I always use 240 when using acr. I will sometimes change to 72 though when I am going to only post them on the web.
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

My Canon also shoots in 3:2 format, So I have experience here. You're going to have to crop some of your image. But let's talk about that second.

At full print resolution, which is 300dpi, an 8x10 photo would have to be 3000x2400 pixels. With your 3:2 ratio, you would have to start with an image that was actually 3600x2400 to get the full 8 inch width. To get the minimum resolution of 150, the 8x10 would have to be 1500x1200, and the 3:2 image before crop would be 1800x1200.

As long as you feed the printer an image of the correct size, and tell it what size print you want, the rest normally takes care of itself. I pay little attention to what the resolution says in PS or ACR. I don't care, because the printer doesn't care. It's going to take the image you give it, and create the size print you tell it to. Thus, you control the print resolution by controlling the pixel dimensions of the image.

Does that begin to answer some of your questions? Feel free to ask if you need more help.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Cropping from an DSLR to make an 8x10 print is a common issue. The easiest way I have found to handle this images is to not print an 8x10. Instead, I print 8x12. That way I get a good sized print, and nothing is cropped. www.mpix.com prints 8x12's as to many other labs. 6x9 is another size that I print when I don't want to crop my image.

If you have Photoshop CS4, there is a new feature called "content aware scaling". It basically allows you to rescale your image without distorting it. I have only used it once, and it worked pretty good. I still think that printing 8x12's is a better option.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

It is frustrating when you find out that the edges of your photos get cropped when printing an 8x10. The top and bottom will be fine but not the edges unless you go to 8x12 and then you might get some white border on the ends.
    To increase the dpi in photoshop, go to image...re-size..and at the bottom of the window will be a place to change dpi. Increase it in 10% increments and it should be fine.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

To print to 8 by 10, unless your using an RB6x7 or a film back or digital back that exposes 4:5 ratio you will have to crop.

Now the DPI is set in your editing program. Just set it to 300 DPI and the photo place will be happy. But remember you ordered 8 by 10 prints and they will crop your image to fit the 4:5 print ratio. So it's best for you to crop before sending of the files.

If the instructor said 8 by 10 print, you will be penalized for blank space or 8 by 12 inch print.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks everyone! That made sense but I don’t have Photoshop to increase the dpi, this might be a problem. The dimensions of most of my images are 4272 X 2848

mpix.com might be a good option for me. mjs1973 I live in los Angeles California that’s a little bit more specific than earth lol. I looked through there site but could not find where they are located. I hope its nearby because I need my prints to be ready and mounted on march 27th (Friday).

"If the instructor said 8 by 10 print, you will be penalized for blank space or 8 by 12 inch print."

Actually the photo gallery entry rules say that "the minimum dimensions for any print is 8x10 and up (including mat)" .

Again thanks for everyones help
    Last edited by LightBright; 03-23-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Mpix has production facilities in Pittsburg, Kansas and Columbia, Missouri. You can have your prints shipped next business day if you need it in a hurry.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I know this won't help your situation for Friday but it may help out in the future.

Below I have made a diagram that helps explain what I do. I use a Nikon D80. If you look at the diagram below the black rectangle represents the original picture or what I see in the viewfinder. The red rectangle represents the same picture cropped to 8x10. (Anything 8x10 or larger will work the same).The green little rectangle represent my cameras focusing points.

When I take a picture with printing a 8x10 or bigger, I know that the crop for an 8x10 or larger will be about 1/3 of the distance from my outside focus points toward the left and right edge of the picture. Knowing this, all is needed is to keep my subjects inside about 1/3 of the way past each of my outer focus points and I'm good to go.

You may not have the same camera or focus points to use for reference but you probably have something that will work just as well, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3:2 aspect ratio but want 8x10 ??-untitled-copy.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Cropping from an DSLR to make an 8x10 print is a common issue. The easiest way I have found to handle this images is to not print an 8x10. Instead, I print 8x12. That way I get a good sized print, and nothing is cropped. www.mpix.com prints 8x12's as to many other labs. 6x9 is another size that I print when I don't want to crop my image.

If you have Photoshop CS4, there is a new feature called "content aware scaling". It basically allows you to rescale your image without distorting it. I have only used it once, and it worked pretty good. I still think that printing 8x12's is a better option.
    I've also print 8x12 before, but then run into a very low- if any, selection of available frames and mats. Getting one made is more of a hassle, and more expensive... We should all petition the frame manufacturers to make 8x12 just as common as 8x10...

BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

Yes, frames for 8x12's are pretty limited at most stores. I order mine from www.framesbymail.com.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I'm a fan of 8x12 framed in 14x18, but that's a little off topic...

One other way of explaining it - and a possible solution - is to have an 8x12 printed. Then, cut off a total of 2" from it. This could be 1" on each side, 1/4" on one and 1-3/4" on the other - any combination, whatever works best. Another option is to print 6.67" x 10" and have white (or black) borders on the long sides (this is full frame but within the 10" rule).

Sometimes this is a hard concept for people to grab. Imagine this - you photograph a square that takes up most of the frame. Print it 8x12 and it's still a square. Ditto for 6.67x10, 4x6, 20x30 or any other "full frame" 3:2 aspect ratio print. You could squish one side down so it would print 8x10, but then the square that was the subject of your photograph is now a rectangle because of that. You'd get the same effect with any subject although maybe less pronounced. It's just like looking at a flat screen TV set up incorrectly, if you've ever seen that.

"Mpix has production facilities in Pittsburg, Kansas and Columbia, Missouri. You can have your prints shipped next business day if you need it in a hurry."

Thanks mjs! It should arrive on time If I order it now.

Thank you Jeff for your explanation. It will definitely help the next time I shoot. I might even put some thin black tape to keep that area in mind.

"One other way of explaining it - and a possible solution - is to have an 8x12 printed. Then, cut off a total of 2" from it. This could be 1" on each side, 1/4" on one and 1-3/4" on the other - any combination, whatever works best. Another option is to print 6.67" x 10" and have white (or black) borders on the long sides (this is full frame but within the 10" rule)."

Great idea, this way I won’t twitch as much since Im not chopping a huge chunk off of only one side.

Wow I never imagined it was such a hassle to get a digital image on 8x10 prints without cropping it lol. That’s another thing that both digital and film photography share....

I realized that my prints might not come on time if I order from mpix.com, so I went to a local photo shop and turns out they mount and print 8x12. The place I went to is called "golden color engineering". I will however use mpix.com for personal stuff. Thanks again for all the help!

Thread Information