Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Memory Stick?

Memory Stick?

Hi. I'm considering purchasing the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1. But I need to know what memory card to use. I understand that i need a "Memory Stick". Can i use a SanDisk namebrand of a Memory Stick? Also what would be the difference between "Memory Stick Pro Duo Video HD" and "Memory Stick Pro Duo Flash Memory Card". Ok, I'm just confused. =/ Thanks for any help you can give me. =)

Re: Memory Stick?

Hello and Welcome to the forum....

You are correct that you need a "Memory Stick" and yes the SanDisk brand will be a fine choice. Just remember to purchase from a reputable dealer, here are just a few.

B&H

Adorama

Newegg

As far as the difference between the "Pro Duo Video HD" and the "Pro Duo Flash Card", the Video HD card might be better for taken video. All depends on how much video you are going to shoot with the camera. I could be wrong and it won't be the first time.....

Good luck and have fun....

James

Re: Memory Stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Canst
    Hi. I'm considering purchasing the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1. But I need to know what memory card to use. I understand that i need a "Memory Stick". Can i use a SanDisk namebrand of a Memory Stick? Also what would be the difference between "Memory Stick Pro Duo Video HD" and "Memory Stick Pro Duo Flash Memory Card". Ok, I'm just confused. =/ Thanks for any help you can give me. =)
    There is a difference, the "Memory Stick Pro Duo Video HD" has a very FAST sustained write speed, and most likely also costs more. Write speed on a still camera really doesn't mater all that much, unless you are shooting sports or a lot of bust mode shooting. With video your memory card has to keep up with the video stream or you have video drop outs but in a still camera you just have to wait a little longer between shoots.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information