Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Memory Cards

Memory Cards

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and am thinking of upgrading my Olympus digital to a higher end digital SLR. One question I have is that with my current camera, I have several of the FujiFilm xD picture memory cards of varying sizes, the max being 256 MB. Are these cards interchangeable with other SLR makes & models, or do I need to start all over and purchase new cards for whatever camera I wind up buying? I'm thinking some brands will allow this type, others won't. If that's the case, what key spec am I looking for to determine if my current cards can be used in the new camera?

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Marco

Re: Memory Cards

Hi and welcome - unfortunately the answer is really "no" for a lot of reasons. Digital SLR's use SD or Compact Flash cards (depending on the camera) and I've never seen any of them use any other type. I have seen adapters (possibly XD to SD) so you may be able to make it work with some cameras but I wouldn't base a camera purchase decision on that.

256mb is very small for shooting with any fairly new camera, let alone a DSLR shooting RAW files. I have one and the only thing it's ever used in is a 5mp camera as a backup. It's not worth anything so I just leave it in that camera's bag. Memory cards have gotten so inexpensive that 2 gig cards should be well under $50 these days. I'd stick with one or two cards of this size.

256mb is far too small for any modern DSLR anyway. You'll need a much larger, faster card no matter what camera you chose. Pick a camera you like, then just get whatever memory type it uses.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Olympus and Fuji cameras use the xD cards. There are older cameras and some current models from both which do not use the xD cards.

But I have to agree that 256MB is small for most of the new cameras out there, and very much so if your shooting in RAW or TIFF formats.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Olympus and Fuji cameras use the xD cards. There are older cameras and some current models from both which do not use the xD cards.

But I have to agree that 256MB is small for most of the new cameras out there, and very much so if your shooting in RAW or TIFF formats.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information