Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Memory

Memory

OK just what is the advantage or dis-advantage of compact memory card over flash (XD)?
    John Halpin
    UTPD
    Other lives
    Commercial Artist/Photographer
    Viet-Nam 1966-1967
    Combat Illustrator/Photographer

Re: Memory

I think the CF card have faster read write times.
    Since this relates to more than just the Olympus system I am going to move the post to the Help Forum. I am sure you will get more responce there.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Read/write speeds may be different but probably not by enough to make a real-world difference. Card speed is one thing, but with a lot of cameras faster cards will only make a difference when downloading. Sure that's an advantage but faster cards are always coming out so I wouldn't worry about it.

So - really I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different. Compact Flash are physically bigger than XD or SD cards so they're not usually used in compact cameras. However, after being used to CF cards I'm afraid to take the XD (or whatever it is, it's tiny) card out of my Olympus 720SW. With my luck I'd lose it (about the size of a small fingernail).

Quote Originally Posted by txhalfblood
    OK just what is the advantage or dis-advantage of compact memory card over flash (XD)?
    For all piratical purposes none but the physical size. Most Pro and Semi-Pro use CF cards or SD cards (Nikon D40,60, and 80). Fuji and Olympus cameras are the only users of XD cards that I know of.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks for all the help. I like this forum.
    :thumbsup:
    John Halpin
    UTPD
    Other lives
    Commercial Artist/Photographer
    Viet-Nam 1966-1967
    Combat Illustrator/Photographer

SD format wins

All these cards use "Flash" memory. The difference is in the card format and performance.

Compact Flash (CF) format was introduced in 1994 and has become the standard for high-end digital cameras. Advantages are compatibility between cards and cameras and that the fastest, highest-capacity cards are in CF format. Major disadvantage is security - there are lots of tiny pins in the connector and it's possible to bend them.

XD format was introduced by Olympus and Fuji about 8-10 years ago in order to have a much smaller card to fit into compact cameras. Disadvantages are the slowness of XD cards, the small number of manufacturers using the format and a certain lack of compatability - some cameras will not take the lastest cards.

And the winner is - SD/SDHC format. The card format is small enough to fit in a compact camera. Speed and capacity is just behind CF format but it's cheaper and more robust (no pins). Manufacturers are switching over to SD formats gradually - my Fuji F40 supports both XD and SD. Canon just switched over to SD for the 450D. Only problem is compatibility - older cameras support SD but not SDHC.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

[QUOTE=another view]Read/write speeds may be different but probably not by enough to make a real-world difference. Card speed is one thing, but with a lot of cameras faster cards will only make a difference when downloading. Sure that's an advantage but faster cards are always coming out so I wouldn't worry about it.QUOTE]

AV,
    I am in the market for more memory and if I was looking at Sandisk the difference between the Ultra II and the Extreme III or IV is just price.
    I currently have (3) 1gb cards for my XTi and I am considering (2) 4gb cards.

Thanks,
    James

[QUOTE=JamesV]
    Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Read/write speeds may be different but probably not by enough to make a real-world difference. Card speed is one thing, but with a lot of cameras faster cards will only make a difference when downloading. Sure that's an advantage but faster cards are always coming out so I wouldn't worry about it.QUOTE]

AV,
    I am in the market for more memory and if I was looking at Sandisk the difference between the Ultra II and the Extreme III or IV is just price.
    I currently have (3) 1gb cards for my XTi and I am considering (2) 4gb cards.

Thanks,
    James
    The Sandisk web site says that the maximum speeds are as follows:

Ultra II = 10MB/sec
    Extreme III = 20MB/sec
    Extreme IV = 40MB/sec

What they don't say is that the Extreme IV uses UDMA technology which your XTi doesn't support. You'd probably be better off with an Extreme III.

You need a UDMA-compatible reader to get high-speed downloading - a (very expensive) Firewire reader goes up to 40MB/sec but a USB 2.0 reader only goes up to 20MB/sec so there again if you don't have Firewire you might as well get the Extreme III.

I use a 8GB UDMA card with my (UDMA compatible) D300 and it's nice but I don't really notice any difference compared with my D200 (but then I rarely do long bursts). I use a dirt cheap USB 2.0 UDMA reader plugged into a quad core 3 hard disk setup and I can get 16MB/sec download out of it which is not bad.

BTW I did test my XD card a long time ago and it was doing much less than 1MB/sec. That gives you an idea of the gap in performance.
    Last edited by Franglais; 04-06-2008 at 01:49 AM.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Charles,
    Thanks for the reply.

That was the one I was looking at, Extreme III. I can get (2) 4gb cards for under $100 with free shipping. Looks like I am going to make a purchase today.

Thanks,

James

Did you make the purchase? I just bought a 8GB 266x trancend CF card from newegg for $80. That's 40MB/S the 20MB/S card was only $40 for 8GB!
    Trying to find a cheap Firewire CF card reader on ebay so I can take advantage of the CF cards speed.

The CF cards still top the charts though. XD will do the job it just won't be extremely fast.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Transfer speed is usually limited a lot more by the camera than the card, unless you're using a latest/greatest camera. Still, cards are so cheap these days that you might as well buy something reasonably fast - you may see faster downloads to your computer. Lexar has (or maybe it's over now) a rebate on their 133x cards. I picked up a 4gb compact flash which will be about $25 after rebate!

Thread Information