Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Matting Question

Do any of you do your own framing and matting?

Since matting is the most expensive part of the framing process, I've been looking in to getting my own mat cutter and creating mats doing custom mats. Last night, I was at the OC Fair and found the cutting system I plan on getting, but I'm looking for a good source for matting materials. Does anyone have any suggestions or favorite places you like to buy from?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Re: Matting Question

I hate to say it, but it's been a year since I bought a mat cutter and haven't even tried it out yet. :blush2: A local craft store is going out of business so the other day I bought a couple of cheap boards to learn on. I've got a Logan 750 which can cut a full sheet of mat board. A friend suggested this in case a big mat is needed but also to save money on buying full sheets of mat board.

I'd recommend trying to buy them locally because shipping will be expensive and there's a pretty fair chance of having the corners damaged. One store (can't remember which) said that they don't guarantee the corners to be perfect when it's shipped. It might cost a little more per sheet but it will be well worth it. You might get a quantity discount if you buy a lot of it.

I would highly recommend these people for anything you need and they have lots of resources available as well. http://www.clubframeco.com/location_usa.html

Try checking out collection of matboard @ BDmatboard. They have a wide collection of photo mats.

You can purchase a mat cutter kit from a hobby/craft 18" size (I got mine for around $60 years ago) and added the Logan 24 and 40 inch rule/guide, and upgrade the 90 degree matt cutter. Using the rule/guides I matted a 10 foot long panorama. The next step up are 30, 40 and 60 inch matt cutters in the $200 to $1000 range.

For wooden frames a compound miter box is required, and DO NOT purchase a cheap one!!! If you purchase a powered miter saw, you will need to purchase 100 to 120 tooth blade (10 inch saw). It is possible to cut metal (aluminum) on a powered saw (you have to change the saw blade), but I would not use it for anything approaching production quantity's, as purchasing a metal band saw will give batter long term quality.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I highly recommend you check out collections of Mat Boards @ BDmatboard where I usually bought my photo mats that i use on wall decors at home.

An note: Purchase your matte board at the local ART store - NOT a big box as were I'm at they charge $12 per uncut matte broad but at the art supply stores the same matte broad is $5.75 to $6.75.

You can order on line but the min-quantity and/or shipping may kill you.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

NSSA/AIPS

Since you're in So California, the store that comes to mind is Aaron Brothers. Yours is here: Aaron bros Laguna Niguel I'm a San Diego brat originally. I don't remember where we got that stuff when I was younger.
    It's not about the camera....

Thread Information