Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Macro, what is it and what does it mean.

Quote Originally Posted by tayl0124
    Wow, I didn't mean to start an argument!!
    I get the feeling it is more of a misunderstanding than an argument. The question is, did you get the info you need from it?
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Before we get everyone confused, previous discussions have been regarding three completely separate topics: 1) lens magnification, 2) reproduction size, and 3) pixel density.

1) As I and several others have pointed out previously, the magnification rating (the image magnification at the sensor or film) for a specific lens does not change with the format used. The definition for magnification is what it is.

2) The reproduction size (printed, displayed, or projected) has nothing to do with the lens. I could just as easily take a full-frame image, crop it to the size of an APS-C format, and then make an enlargement of that to make it look bigger for the size printed. An enlarged print may be in the order of 10:1 of the original subject. A projected image may be in the order of 100:1. Again, you can do what you want with the image but the lens gave you a 1:1 image to start with.

3) I understand the discussion that 15MP packed in an APS-C sensor should yield more resolution than 15MP spread over a 24mm x 36mm sensor and, therefore, should yield a better and more resolved reproduction size (i.e. enlarged). But consider that smaller pixels in greater densities doesn’t necessitate higher resolution. One can’t exceed the resolving capabilities of the lens itself. And then there is the issue of noise. So putting the same number of pixels in a smaller area will not automatically give higher resolution with which to make larger reproduction images. There is a limit.

Binoculars come in different powers and FOV’s. One pair of 10x binos may have a FOV of 300’ at 1000’ while another 10x pair may have a FOV of 250’ at 1000’. Both yield the same magnification. One just has a wider FOV than the other. Same thing.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by tayl0124
    Wow, I didn't mean to start an argument!!
    This isn't an argument. Everyone is just looking at it from the point of view of what is important to them.

Ask about 'Extended Optical Zoom' vs. digital zoom if you want an argument. :-)

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information