Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Macro Shots?

Macro Shots?

well, i recieved an early christmas present last night: a canon EF-S 60mm macro lens and i was wondering how to take decent macro shots. i have been playing around with things like chocolate, my cat, my phone and other assorted items. i was wondering if there is a trick to taking really good macro shots.

oh, and post up some examples i willl be posting a couple later on tonight
    Brian O' Canon

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Macro Shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian001
    well, i recieved an early christmas present last night: a canon EF-S 60mm macro lens and i was wondering how to take decent macro shots. i have been playing around with things like chocolate, my cat, my phone and other assorted items. i was wondering if there is a trick to taking really good macro shots.

oh, and post up some examples i willl be posting a couple later on tonight
    A couple of quick suggestions:

1. Use a strong sturdy tripod. Macro distances, DOF, and magnifications make it extremely difficult to get decent handheld shots. This is especially true for things such as flowers that get tossed around by the slightest wind.

2. Pay very close attention to the DOF. Make heavy use of the DOF preview on your camera. At macro distances, DOF can get tricky.

3. Be patient. Sometimes it takes a long while for something to stay still long enough to not move in and out of the DOF. Be ready to snap that shutter.

4. For the critical shutter speeds, use the mirror lockup. Mirror vibrations can ruin your phots sometimes.

5. When you get really good, think about investing in a macro rail. This allows you to focus with an extremely fine control.

6. Practice, practice, practice!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Thread Information