Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Macro focusing query

Hello,

I have a Nikon Coolpix S10 and find it hard to get it to focus on small subjects like insects etc. It tends to focus on the background leaving the desired subject fuzzy. The manual says this is because there is too much detail. Does anyone know of a way round this?

If I were to purchase a manual camera, would I have the same problem? Although looking at all your gorgeous pics it's obviously achievable!

Many thanks

Theresa

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Macro focusing query

I'm not sure but it seems with image stabilization you have and a minimum focus distance of 4cm in closeup mode, that you should be able to get a focus.
    I don't know what the manual means by 'too much detail'.
    Can you change aperture on that camera to give a deeper focal area?

You might try focusing on something the same distance and holding the shutter halfway which will lock the focus and then composing your shot but that's hard in outdoors.
    A manual focus, of course will make it possible to focus on what you want depending on minimum focal range.
    Try using a smaller aperture to increase focus range and see if that helps first.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

drg

That's one of those twist bodies isn't it?

Make sure that the object you want to focus on is not TOO close to the camera. That will mean that the AF will find something farther away.

One key to Macro photography is a support such as a tripod. That or a very steady support (a book, a bag or case, even a pillow) so that the camera doesn't move from the time the shot is set up and then finally captured.

Nikon P/S have had good macro modes and I would keep practicing and experimenting until you discover how to optimize this type of photography.

Focus and Depth of Field are ALWAYS one of the challenges with Macros. 'Manual' cameras aren't any easier, though they may offer more control with some subjects.

Keep us up to date on what you find.

Also check the nature forum. Lots of very good suggestions on Macro shooting there, though much of that is aimed at the DSLR user.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thank you so much for your ideas, I can't wait to put them into practice. It hasn't helped that whenever I have a spare moment, there has been a force 9 gale outside!

Thanks again,
    Theresa

Check and see if you have a manual focus option? My old Olympus had that option and I heavy used it when doing Micro Photography.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information