Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

To Stabilize or not to Stabilize

Canon 500 mm on a tripod with a gimbol head tightened so it can be moved but not without some degree of effort. Do you use stabilize or not.

Thanks
    Horace Best
    Goldsboro, NC

www.hlbest.zenfolio.com

Re: To Stabilize or not to Stabilize

If you have a tripod you turn OFF the stabilization, but be sure and turn it back on when not on the tripod, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

The Canon 500mm IS can be used on a tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    If you have a tripod you turn OFF the stabilization, but be sure and turn it back on when not on the tripod, Jeff
    Actually, that is for older versions of IS. For the Canon 500mm:

" The Canon EF 500mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens knows that a tripod is being used when vibrations go below a certain level. Keep IS turned on when mounting the 500 L on a tripod to take advantage of this secondary IS mode - reducing mirror slap, shutter and tripod vibrations. "
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Re: The Canon 500mm IS can be used on a tripod

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2 View Post
    Actually, that is for older versions of IS. For the Canon 500mm:

" The Canon EF 500mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens knows that a tripod is being used when vibrations go below a certain level. Keep IS turned on when mounting the 500 L on a tripod to take advantage of this secondary IS mode - reducing mirror slap, shutter and tripod vibrations. "
    You are right! I verified that you do leave it on so my question is, why have an off switch, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When shutter speeds at and beyond 1/500th are being used, no need for it, it will only consume battery.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

A lens is for life. Eleanor Maw's Avatar

Most of the time I don't use stabilization other than long telephoto, I tend to go more for high shutter speeds if possible, mind you I am very pleased we have stabilization nowadays, it's given me a lot of photo opportunities I would of not had if it was not for image stabilization

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: The Canon 500mm IS can be used on a tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    You are right! I verified that you do leave it on so my question is, why have an off switch, Jeff
    The IS on this lens works seamlessly on and off the tripod. To answer your question, I don't know - I never turn mine off on this lens. For that matter, I have never even used Mode 2 - just Mode 1 - even while panning and for in-flight stuff.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    When shutter speeds at and beyond 1/500th are being used, no need for it, it will only consume battery.
    I don't agree with you on this one, Anbesol.

Why not use all the tools that are available to you. Just because one hits the reciprocal-focal-length-speed doesn't mean that the camera shake becomes suddenly and completely mitigated by the shutter speed. It is still there and who knows when an image will need to be later cropped or if the image will be printed extremely large.

The reciprocal-focal-length-speed is just a guide. Stabilization is going to help so why not use it?
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

If you turn off VR/IS, you may get a focus lock faster. At least that's my impression.

And if you're shooting at 1/2000s....

Thread Information