Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Looking for SD card

So I ordered a Sony NEX-3 for a 10 day trip I'm leaving for next Friday. I now need a SD memory card for it. Any recommendations on a decent memory card that won't break the bank? I'm used to shooting CF cards in DSLR's, so I know next to nothing about SD cards. I've figured out that the "class" is generally speed, but I've also seen mixed comments on whether or not the class is an accurate measure of speed. Any guidance will be much appreciated. I'm hoping to pick up a 32GB SD card. Thanks.

Re: Looking for SD card

once you pass up 4-8gb on SD, then cost effectiveness goes out. For example, 4 8gb's would be less expensive than 1 32gb. Personally, I would stick with a couple or few 8gb's, but if not, newegg.com has a good selection at reasonable prices.

link
    Worth a look, $40 wouldn't even break MY little bank lol.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Thanks for the link. I did take a look at newegg earlier. Many of those brands I have never heard of. I've been burned by a generic memory card before, so I've always gone with Sandisk or Lexar. Unfortunately Sandisk and Lexar are also the most expensive. Anyway, I ended up with a class 10 PNY branded card. We'll see how it works out..

I just purchased three 16gb SanDisk cards from B&H Camera. If you buy one they are $48.95 but if you buy more than one they drop in price to $32.49 ea. with free shipping. This is a fast class 10 16gb card, Jeff

SanDisk
    16GB Extreme SDHC Memory Card

Class 10 Rating
    Up to 30MB/s Read/Write Speed
    Durable & Reliable
    Lifetime Limited Warranty

B&H # SAESD16GBC
    Mfr # SDSDX3-016G-A31

In Stock
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would not purchase one very large SD/CF card. It is better to have multiple smaller cards. There is less chance of all the cards failing or becoming damaged at the same time. If you only have one card and during the transferring of the photos the card gets dropped then stepped on braking it, or it just fails, you are now dead in the water, remember you only have that one now broken/fail unusable card.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    I would not purchase one very large SD/CF card. It is better to have multiple smaller cards. There is less chance of all the cards failing or becoming damaged at the same time. If you only have one card and during the transferring of the photos the card gets dropped then stepped on braking it, or it just fails, you are now dead in the water, remember you only have that one now broken/fail unusable card.
    I guess that is another good reason to have a Nikon D7000 with dual card slots. If you think you may have this problem just put two cards in and write to both and your photos will automatically be backed up, Jeff

On a 8GB card when I shoot RAW Fine JPEG there is only room for 158 shots with my D7000. With the 16GB card there will be room for 316 shots. If any videos are taken there will even be less on it. I have three 8GB cards and three 16GB cards that I use not counting all the smaller ones.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How in the world did we ever survive back in the day with 12, 24 and 36 shot rolls. I eventually got a 250 bulk back, but only used that for sports. Bulk back meant more than just a lot of film.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kfim750250.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
    How in the world did we ever survive back in the day with 12, 24 and 36 shot rolls. I eventually got a 250 bulk back, but only used that for sports. Bulk back meant more than just a lot of film.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kfim750250.jpg
    Haha that really put things into perspective! We are so spoiled these days!

Thread Information