Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    kmk

looking for a good SLR

I currently use a pentax zx-50 and I purchased it with the pentax SMC 35-80 and 80 -200 lenses that came as a package with the purchase. I just recently found a professional developer and I really noticed the better resolution but I like to do mostly portraits and some nature shots but the lenses I have don't seem to produce detailed images. My husband jokes that my pictures "pro-wanna-be" compostions with disposable camera quality. I use the camera at alot of family functions and it needs to be versatile. One of my biggest complaints is my camera is horrible in lower light conditions- the auto mode will not work and the auto focus is LOUD. Also I noticed the lenses are slow- I am always told to take the picture already or I miss the perfect shot of my 1 year old. I am interested in the new cannon rebel but I am a bit leary about all the bells and whistles.
    To sum it up, I want to invest in a great camera body that I can use with many different lenses as my skills improve. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

It's hurricane season... again...
    Quote Originally Posted by kmk
    I currently use a pentax zx-50 and I purchased it with the pentax SMC 35-80 and 80 -200 lenses that came as a package with the purchase. I just recently found a professional developer and I really noticed the better resolution but I like to do mostly portraits and some nature shots but the lenses I have don't seem to produce detailed images. My husband jokes that my pictures "pro-wanna-be" compostions with disposable camera quality. I use the camera at alot of family functions and it needs to be versatile. One of my biggest complaints is my camera is horrible in lower light conditions- the auto mode will not work and the auto focus is LOUD. Also I noticed the lenses are slow- I am always told to take the picture already or I miss the perfect shot of my 1 year old. I am interested in the new cannon rebel but I am a bit leary about all the bells and whistles.
    To sum it up, I want to invest in a great camera body that I can use with many different lenses as my skills improve. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    I'm not familiar with the ZX-50, but couldn't you just keep your current body and invest in some better lenses? Perhaps some good fixed-length lenses will provide you with the quality you are looking for, and you wouldn't have to invest in a whole new system. I personally have just started with a 50mm 1.8 and a 28mm 2.8 (that I don't have yet). I then turned around and sold the sub-par 28-90mm lens that came with my camera. I am much happier with the quality of the photos taken with my 50mm lens- and low light pics are no problem! Good luck, I hope this helps.

fyi- Here is the 50mm 1.7 lens for your camera that would probably make you much happier...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=40757&is=USA
    Last edited by kkraczek; 03-29-2004 at 06:29 PM.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

I suspect...

Also I noticed the lenses are slow- I am always told to take the picture already or I miss the perfect shot of my 1 year old. I am interested in the new cannon rebel but I am a bit leary about all the bells and whistles.
    I suspect that some of this is user error.

For indoor shots, especially of children, you need a flash unit to get good results. Indoors is darker than you might suspect. "Diposable quality" means what? Composition, bad focus, poor choice of mode...? I doubt very much that switching systems will help. Glass among the majors is pretty much at the same level of quality.

Post a few examples so we know what you are talking about and can give you better advice.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

kmk
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    I suspect that some of this is user error.

For indoor shots, especially of children, you need a flash unit to get good results. Indoors is darker than you might suspect. "Diposable quality" means what? Composition, bad focus, poor choice of mode...? I doubt very much that switching systems will help. Glass among the majors is pretty much at the same level of quality.

Post a few examples so we know what you are talking about and can give you better advice.
    I posted some pictures on the critique board- titled "new to the board". In reference to indoor shots, my camera will not take a picture at all- either in auto or manual and on all types of film. I first experienced this at my sisters wedding and imagine my embarassment when she was waiting to cut the cake while I fussed with this camera and people around me took pic's with disposables. I called the dealer and they informed me that the camera doesn't perform well in low light and they should have suggested an external flash at my time of purchase.
    When I refered to disposable quality I was describing the level of detail I felt I was not recieving from my lenses. When I compare pic's taken by a pro and my pic's, my shots are missing that sharp, crisp datail that a good camera and lens should provide. This is in auto and manual.
    I suspect that my camera has a focusing issue. In either mode, the camera takes forever to focus- sometimes zooming back and forth even in daylight. I have loaned my camera to someone with professional experience and she aggreed that the images are not bad, but they don't measure up to that of other cameras on the market at similar or lower prices. It's is almost as thought the camera is always in slow, slow, mode too. and forget trying to use it anywhere that noise should be at a minimum. When we watched the video of my nephews christening, you can hear my camera whining the whole time.
    I do realize that my skills are very poor when compared to most who frequent this site but I expect much better sharpness and better performance out of a camera- especially considering the thing wasn't cheap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails looking for a good SLR-dsc00181.jpg  

OK, I took a look at the Critique forum. This is meant to be helpful, not mean!

The first two have horribly burned out highlights. You are losing the details because the exposure was blown. The tube shot is good.

The third led me to the possible problem: I bet you are using print film.You are also trying to judge lens quality by looking a a print. You can't do that! Prints are a second generation product that heavily depends upon the machine tech to get it right: they seldom do. To determine the quality of the glass you have to look at the negative itself or switch to slide film. Prints tell you absolutely nothing.

Also, how was this scanned? If you scanned the prints on a flatbed, the results will be mediocre even with your best attempts. If you had scans made for you, they were probably highly compressed jpegs.

The picture attached here has good composition but it looks like you used an extremely high ISO film or, if B&W film, the processing was badly done. The grain is overwhelming. Any detail that may have been there could never be seen.

Rather than spend more money on another camera, take a breath and make some changes. First, switch to slide film for a while so you can satisfy yourself that the lens is not at fault. Second, when you return to print film, choose low ISO film (100, 200) and work hard to find a printer who has a clue. This make take many tries. Third, find a better way to scan the results. Get high quality scans, they will cost you between $1 and $2 per negative or slide. Don't scan prints if you want quality.

Also, although it might be annoying at first, practice with exposure and focus. Don't assume a camera can figure out lighting. If you don't have a flash unit for all these indoor shots, get one. Learn when manual focus is called for. AF will not always work. If the camera locks, it is often the way the camera tells you the focus is wrong. Even my EOS-3 needs help in low light.

I really see no evidence of a lens or camera problem here. Practice, practice, practice. I hope this helps a bit.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kmk
    I posted some pictures on the critique board- titled "new to the board". In reference to indoor shots, my camera will not take a picture at all- either in auto or manual and on all types of film. I first experienced this at my sisters wedding and imagine my embarassment when she was waiting to cut the cake while I fussed with this camera and people around me took pic's with disposables. I called the dealer and they informed me that the camera doesn't perform well in low light and they should have suggested an external flash at my time of purchase. ...
    The default setting for the ZX-50 is to not release the shutter unless the af system confirms focus (see p.35 of the manual). Also, if predictive focus cannot keep up with the subject it will not release the shutter, and the shutter will not release while the built-in flash is recharging.

I think the only way for the ZX-50 to give shutter release priority to the shutter button is to switch to manual focus. AF confirmation is the default for other brands/models, too. But on more advanced models the shutter button can be given priority over AF confirmation in certain exposure modes or if the AF is set to continuous instead of single shot mode.

An accessory flash will help because it will have a near-infrared focus assist light that gives the af system enough contrast to confirm focus, even in the dark.

kmk
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Rather than spend more money on another camera, take a breath and make some changes. First, switch to slide film for a while so you can satisfy yourself that the lens is not at fault. Second, when you return to print film, choose low ISO film (100, 200) and work hard to find a printer who has a clue. This make take many tries. Third, find a better way to scan the results. Get high quality scans, they will cost you between $1 and $2 per negative or slide. Don't scan prints if you want quality.

Also, although it might be annoying at first, practice with exposure and focus. Don't assume a camera can figure out lighting. If you don't have a flash unit for all these indoor shots, get one. Learn when manual focus is called for. AF will not always work. If the camera locks, it is often the way the camera tells you the focus is wrong. Even my EOS-3 needs help in low light.

I really see no evidence of a lens or camera problem here. Practice, practice, practice. I hope this helps a bit.
    Thank you for all the advice. I have just forund a new lab, the previous one was good but they treated me like I was wasting thier time- they had pro's to attend to. And some of the info they told me was misleading. I am sorry if I seemed irate but I am being led into so many different directions. I have been reading several references (Langford's hanbook) and they support your suggestions. I am going to first send my camera for a good cleaning and check-up and then I will try slide film. Can you make some suggestions for slide and b+w film? Most of the b+w (ilford) thay I have tried has been too grainy- then again I just discovered that they have been developing it in the same machines they use for color_LOL!
    I used my home flatbed scanner to upload the pic's so sorry for the poor quality- My next purchase should be a negative scanner. I realize that I need to invest in better lighting and some perhaps cheaper speciality lenses or filters ( Zoom, shift...) to achieve the looks that I want. This of course in in the future.
    Finially, I am regestering for a Photo 101 course this summer because I realize that I need to more about the basics behind my camera and how to best use it- before I even purchase another. I need to define my needs out of an instrument, but only after I can learn to properly manage one.
    Thank you.

It can get pretty frustrating! Everyone goes through this once an eye for details starts to develop. I do like your composition, so it's just the technical details that need some tweaking.

For slide film, I'd start with Fuji Provia. Although Velvia is often recommended, it is an extremly difficult slide file to deal with. Provia will serve you better. With slide film, you will have to be very careful about exposure: it doesn't have the exposure "forgiveness" that print film has.

Some Ilford and Kodak B&W is meant to be developed in C-41 (color print chemicals). Other B&W films use traditional B&W chemicals. I'm not into B&W so I'll leave recommendations to others. In all cases, a low ISO will give you lots less grain than higher ones.

You can get pretty good deals on a film scanner these days. With digital photography taking over and scanner technology improving, the prices have come down. I have a Canon 4000 that is an excellent bargain. It's slower than the equivalent Nikon but the quality is just as good and it's less than half the price. For that amount of cost difference, I can be patient!

kmk
    I just talked to my husband and informed him of my decision- here is a big wrench. Next month is my 30th birthday and he opted to get me a gift certificate to a local camera shop instead of diamond earings. Evidently my family chipped in towards it too and he is pushing me into the digital market based on what my brother-in-law advised him. They all got sick of me comlaining about my camera. I told him about my plan and he wants me to get another digital camera too- (he's a little competitive when it come to electronic buying)
    I am overwhelmed at thier generosity but I own a sony digital and the quality is lousy at 4 megapixel. It is tempting being able to adjust my flaws on the computer but I fear i am wrestling with a whole differnt beast here. The gift is much more than a few lenses and filter would cost- what do I do?
    HELP!!!

Thread Information