Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Looking for a decent tripod on a budget

Hi there.

I'm currently based in the UK, and am planning a trip to New York (probably early next year, but who knows) and I'm hoping to take advantage of the cheaper prices to expand/replace some of my gear.So expect a few posts to come!

I would like to replace my cheapo tripod with something more durable but I'm pretty overwhelmed by the options! I would like something relatively compact (can carry attached to a LowePro backpack or the like) and not too heavy, but can reliably be used for long exposures. Being married, it goes without saying that I'm on a budget so the real fancy stuff (e.g. carbon fibre) will probably be out of reach.

My expected kit will be an EOS350D + batt pack, 24-105 f4 L IS, 10-22 EF-S and a 28-200 f3.5-5.6 (which I plan to replace down the track with either a 70-200 f4 L IS + 1.4X extender or 100-400 L IS) so hopefully that gives an idea of the weight the tripod needs to hold. I take lots of landscapes when travelling if that helps - does that influence what type of head I should get?

I know this is long winded, so thanks for reading. Any advice is most apprecited.

Cheers,
    Sean
    Feeling stupid? I know I am. ;)

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Looking for a decent tripod on a budget

Well, what exactly is your budget? A really popular (and really good) tripod is the Manfrotto 3021. As for heads, it's really up to you. Some prefer ball heads, others prefer the pan/tilt heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    Well, what exactly is your budget? A really popular (and really good) tripod is the Manfrotto 3021. As for heads, it's really up to you. Some prefer ball heads, others prefer the pan/tilt heads.
    Good question. Honestly, I don't have an exact budget, since I really don't know how much I need to spend to get a serviceable tripod, but $150 is probably a ballpark number. But tell me if I'm being unrealisitic! I'll make a note of the 3021 - thanks.
    Feeling stupid? I know I am. ;)

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I'm sure you can get some of the tripod kits (legs + head) for $150. I think I spent a little over $200 for the 3021Pro and a pan/tilt head (forgot which model).

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum Sean. This is a question that comes up a lot. Check out this thread and see what some of the others have mentioned.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information