Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Linear vs. Circular Polarizer

I never really found out what the difference between linear and circular polarizers are. Can someone please fill me in?

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Linear vs. Circular Polarizer

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    I never really found out what the difference between linear and circular polarizers are. Can someone please fill me in?
    This has been explained before but I'll answer it again. Try looking in the archives first!

Both polarizers have the same business end. A circular polarizer just adds a 1/4 wave retarder plate to the back of the linera polarizer. This "spirals" the polarized light.

Why would you want this? Many AF cameras in SLRs and DSLRs use a beam splitter that polarizes incoming light. If you use a linear polarizer, you will get the camera mixed up. The circular polarizer, in effect, scrambles up the polarized light so the camera is happy again.

If you are using an SLR or DSLR, get a circular polarizer, the best you can afford.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information