Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Lightening up those candids, and softening them too.

This is my first post and I've yet to learn the rules of this forum, but I'm interested in lightening (brightening, I guess) my photos, and also softening them.

The picture style I'm referring to can be found on a lot of the satorialist's blog (if you read that one) or the Cherryblossomgirl.com blog...the shots are given softness no matter what situation they are in, but also crisp and clean.

I love that sort of photography - really light, airy, sort of muted and soft, and would love to learn how to do it.

I'm guessing they probably have the best cameras ever - I'm working with a cannon rebel T2i, and have the stock lens. I'm more than willing to buy a filter or whatever else if need be...I've been able to brighten the pictures up using the camera settings, but it's a harsher, sharper light usually and I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Please berate me if I'm in the wrong place

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Lightening up those candids, and softening them too.

Welcome and you are in the right place,(forum).
    I haven't looked yet but suspect you might be talking about the (insert blank mind here) effect.
    Your camera is just fine.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

What you are describing is bokeh. It is accomplished by controlling your Depth of Field. Here is a good tutorial on DOF. The whole series is an excellent resource.

The name that Frog was trying to recall was the Orton effect. You can google it to determine how it's done.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    The name that Frog was trying to recall was the Orton effect. You can google it to determine how it's done.
    That's it! Thanks Medley!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

To get that smooth blurry background, it is best done with wider apertures. Nothing to do with camera body, everything to do with a lens, and can be done for as little as $100 with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 (probably the most recommended lens on this site). The "perfect" portrait lens is the 85mm f/1.4, but those are a good 13 times more expensive, and a little harder focal range for casual and candid portraits (on the T2i's crop).

The best way I think, to brightening up the colors and tones in an image is through what is called "curves", it is a tool used in photoshop (and other photo editting programs). Its a lot more effective than filters and simple brightness adjustments. I think its the most important photo editing tool also..

Thread Information