Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Lens Suggestions

My uncle is building a web page for my fathers friend who has a Recording Studio(in a converted garage). They have asked me to go and take some photos of the various equipment, and space. What suggestions would you have for lens choices(I might rent a few from a local shop)? It will probably be pretty crowded in there so there is the chance for a lot of clutter in the background of the images. Also does anyone know of a good free or cheap program to create the 360 degree view of the space, kind of like a Realtor does?

Any help is appreciated. I believe my sig lists my current gear if you have any questions, otherwise just ask.

I do have PS cs3 if that helps.
    Last edited by tayl0124; 07-29-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

Re: Lens Suggestions

My advice is to go as wide as you can! I suggest the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. That is what these photos are with.

Here are some examples I did at my studio. BY FAR I don't consider these great shots. Just stuff I shot while recording.

Try to get interesting low lighting to show off all of the fancy lights on the gear if you can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lens Suggestions-studio-46-67-1.jpg   Lens Suggestions-studio_session-67-126-1.jpg   Lens Suggestions-studio_session-10-126-1.jpg  

Here's another, For this one I took about 5 shots at 18mm with a 18-200mm canon lens in portrait then blended them. I used autopano giga but I think you should be able to find something that will work for free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lens Suggestions-studio_pano_1_small.jpg  

unfortunately the place that I may rent from only rents lens made by the camera manufacturers, so the tokina is out as far as that goes. They do have a Canon 16-35 f2.8 L though.
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

The Canon EF-S 10-22 is a good wide angle zoom. Very little distortion for being as wide as it is.

The Canon photostitch software will do a pano of several shots. Not sure about an interactive 360. You can download it from CNET.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

For indoor panoramas, you will need a panorama head (on axis or two axis for spherical). The focal length needed depends on the angle of view to capture the view wished. Before taking the panorama you will need to set up the lens for the noddle point of the lens. The reason for that step is due to parallax between the background and foreground objects.

Your can get away without a panorama head in landscape if you pay attention to the foreground objects and framing.

I my self use Panorama Factory, from Smoky City Design. If you can find it version 1.X is now freeware but the current version 5 is the difference between nigth(1.x) and day. But using a panorama head you can use almost any editing software as the images will just overlay each other without any editing or warping of the images.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information