Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

lens rental outfits

I own a RebelXT with the std. kit lens. I've looked around the net for lens rental outfits and found only a few. Does anyone have experience renting short term with any company?
    Thanks for your help. Steve B.

Re: lens rental outfits

I've rented lenses and cameras a few times. I've never done it online, though. Where I live there's a big pro dealer that rents all kinds of stuff. It's a practical alternative when you need an expensive lens that you wouldn't use very often.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I've actually looked into this myself lately as I'm interested in testing out some expensive glass before emptying my wallet on it.

I found these two sites:

http://www.rentglass.com
    http://www.ziplens.com

I've yet to rent anything from either site though. I plan to soon, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Nikon Samurai #25

~~Tools of the Trade~~
    Nikon D50
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
    50mm f/1.8D AF
    28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF AF
    Lensbaby 2.0
    Kodak Duaflex II

~~Stillsky Studio~~

Thanks gents. Stillsky, add this site to your list, lensprotogo.com
    They have the best looking site but still they don't stock allot of the gear you may want the faster 2.8 24-70 L class lenses are out of stock on most of these sites.
    You can rent 70-200 2.8 L for 90bucks a week, it is a 4lb lens man! My Lil RebelXT is less than a pound.
    Thanks for your help, Steve B.
    PS where in NY?

Ooh, I may have to use lensprotogo.com to take advantage of the NAPP discount program.

I'm from Rockland County, not too far from where you are. I used to go to school out on the island.

Nikon Samurai #25

~~Tools of the Trade~~
    Nikon D50
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
    50mm f/1.8D AF
    28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF AF
    Lensbaby 2.0
    Kodak Duaflex II

~~Stillsky Studio~~

If you add the canon grip to you rbl it does help ballance it out well. Remember when having a big heavy lens on the little camera body support the lens, don't hold everything by the body.
    JB

Re: lens rental outfits - www.photolensrental.com

We would be glad to help you out with any lens rentals if needed

-jeff
    jeff@photolensrental.com
    http://www.photolensrental.com

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Have you looked into CPS (Canon Professionl Services) I have never tried to sign up with them, but I know some of the forum members here are members of CPS. If you qualify for CPS, Canon will send you gear to use for a short period. I think you have to pay for shipping and insurance, but other than that, it's basically free. There was a post about it a while back, but I can't find it right now. I know there was a phone # in that post so I will keep looking.

Here is a link to the Euaropean website for CPS. There isn't a US version of the site.

http://www.cps.canon-europa.com/memb.../whatisCPS.jsp
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Smile Re: lens rental outfits

Hi Mike, thanks for that Canon Professional thought,I checked the site,you must be a full time working photog with at least two Canon pro bodies and several L lenses in order to even qualify for acceptance. Humph!guess my lil'XT and nifty-fifty don't put me in with the pros?
    Thank You Again Mike, Steve B.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Those requirements were a big let down for me too, but I remember someone here telling me that they were a member, and didn't have the required gear that they list. I did find this thread from over a year ago with a phone # and an email address that you can use to contact them. I emailed them and got the application to join, but I never filled it out. I think I'll email them again, and get another one.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information