Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Lens advice

Question Lens advice

Guys,
    any one has any opinion about the following combination of lenses for a 'Rebel XTi'. Both lens kits are available on amazon. Will 28 be too wide with 1.6 ?

What are the pros and cons for both?Aer these lenses good if I decide to upgrade the camera after a few years?

or suggest other lenses covering these focal lengths. cant spend more than $300 right now on lenses.

1.sigma 28-300 mm

2.Sigma 70-300mm & 28-70mm DG Lens Set + Pro Accessory Kit for Canon EOS

(both deals can be seen on amazon)

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Lens advice

Honestly I would save up for better glass. I bought lenses like these when I was new to photography and didn't know any better. I've replaced them with faster, sharper lenses and I got rid of the cheapies except for the 70-300 which is basically an oversized paperweight at this point. It really depends on what's important to you though. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for everyone else and vice versa.

28mm is NOT too wide on a DSLR. In fact it's not very wide at all. That lens was probably originally paired with a film camera, in which case it would be a moderately wide angle. To equal that on a Rebel XTi, you need something more like 17 or 18 mm. I don't think you'd be happy with 28mm being as wide as you can go on the XTi. Go for the kit lens, or something similar from a third party. Buy something faster or sharper if you can, but I recommend waiting until you have a little experience before buying a second lens. And anything that covers a huge range, like 28-300, is not going to have the best optics.

Paul

Thanks for the inputs,
    would love some more advice.
    It is going to be mostly outdoor nature wildlife kind of photography.Definitely some macro.
    Basically everything that is worth catching with the camera.
    I work with wild animals that dont allow enough proximity and time(herpetologist;- gators etc).so need to have a bigger focal length.
    What do you think?

Amo save your pennys and get a 70-200 L lens. You cant go wrong with one. I don't have a macro lens so I can't add anything on that subject
    Jimmy

Thanks a lot Jimmy!
    Could you say some more?
    Amol

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'd agree with the 70-200, on a Rebel that only uses the centre of the image that is effectively 112-320 which gives you enough range.
    I prefer the f2.8 IS but you can save money buying the non-stabilised or f4 versions.

A macro lens is good if you want to go from normal photo to macro without taking the lens off.
    But extension tubes are a very cheap solution to getting macro shots.

Check out the Nature forum Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Paul,
    I am having difficulty where to start, what to buy with the rebel xti to start with?
    It is a wonderful thread. A new guy like me was amazed.

Thanks a lot

Thread Information