Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Killer deal on a telephoto lens?

This telephoto lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

has about the power of this lens (first one):

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/S2is/index.htm

The obvious physical and price differences must mean the cheaper one will not do what the more expensive one will do. What is probably lacking in the first lens?

Thanks very much for any enlightenment for this beginner, I'm using a Canon S3 IS.

Jim

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Killer deal on a telephoto lens?

These kinds of lenses won't give you the quality that you'd get if the same amount of zoom was designed in from the beginning.

The first one looks like it has no coatings, and the reflections make it look strangely curved, I'd expect a shape like that on a wide-angle lens, not a telephoto. I wonder if they're so cheap they've reused a photo of a different lens.

The second one, looks like they've coloured the image so that it looks coated, but what you get may not be exactly like that.

I was considering getting the Canon equivalent for my G9, but decided it was too expensive and when my G9 filled with dust went for micro 4/3 instead - with proper interchangeable lenses.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything that looks like a killer deal - usually you get what you pay for. Or don't get what you don't pay for in this case - quality.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: Killer deal on a telephoto lens?

You will lose image quality and may have other problems, by installing add on lenses. The problems can run form none to this is a piece of @#$%. And you don't know until it's to late if it's "piece of @#$%"
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information