Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: jpeg basic

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

jpeg basic

Took my camera while getting mail the other day and ended up getting some photos I like a lot. Then I noticed that my card count said I had 3.1 pics left. Couldn't figure that out but pictures seemed to be taking ok.
    When I loaded them they loaded (about 40) really fast and when I opened them with photoshop I discovered they were jpegs. Then I checked the camera and it was set on jpeg basic. I have no idea how that happened as I always shoot raw.

Anyway, since I'm not technically informed, what can be done with these pics other than posting on internet? Can they be improved? Does it have anything to do with increasing resolution as in GB1's question about increasing resolution?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: jpeg basic

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Took my camera while getting mail the other day and ended up getting some photos I like a lot. Then I noticed that my card count said I had 3.1 pics left. Couldn't figure that out but pictures seemed to be taking ok.
    When I loaded them they loaded (about 40) really fast and when I opened them with photoshop I discovered they were jpegs. Then I checked the camera and it was set on jpeg basic. I have no idea how that happened as I always shoot raw.

Anyway, since I'm not technically informed, what can be done with these pics other than posting on internet? Can they be improved? Does it have anything to do with increasing resolution as in GB1's question about increasing resolution?
    Sorry, you're boned...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Ah, well! Thanks anyway!
    Keep Shooting!

[snip] Then I checked the camera and it was set on jpeg basic. I have no idea how that happened as I always shoot raw.

Of course they can be improved. What do you have to improve your photos? And how do you want to improve them?

What resolution?

You can print them out, turn them into a poster, look at them on the monitor, etc., etc. Not everybody shoots raw. Not all pros shoot raw. Many photos you see are not from raw. So, yes, photos of jpeg format are still photos. Many of mine are jpegs. Feel better

How about you let me play with some of your photos?

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Of course they can be improved. What do you have to improve your photos? And how do you want to improve them?

What resolution?

You can print them out, turn them into a poster, look at them on the monitor, etc., etc. Not everybody shoots raw. Not all pros shoot raw. Many photos you see are not from raw. So, yes, photos of jpeg format are still photos. Many of mine are jpegs. Feel better

How about you let me play with some of your photos?
    He is talking about low quality basic jpegs, lets be realistic here. Witha D80 he might get some decent 5x7s, but there is going to be a limit. I wasn't saying just cuz the are jpegs they are bad. Heck that is all I shot with my first 2 digitals and I got great results, but I ALYWAS shot at the higest IQ.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    He is talking about low quality basic jpegs, lets be realistic here. Witha D80 he might get some decent 5x7s, but there is going to be a limit. I wasn't saying just cuz the are jpegs they are bad. Heck that is all I shot with my first 2 digitals and I got great results, but I ALYWAS shot at the higest IQ.
    Should still try. Decent 5x7s are pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Should still try. Decent 5x7s are pretty good
    Yeah, I guess so, but I know I'd be so disapointed I wouldn't even wanna look at them.

RESHOOT!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Yeah, I guess so, but I know I'd be so disapointed I wouldn't even wanna look at them.

RESHOOT!
    Ok. Poor Frog.

Reshoot not possible as it was rare weather related.
    Might try some 5x7.
    I sure cannot figure out how the setting got changed...poltergeist I guess.
    Ah, well......not my first photo disappointment.
    Keep Shooting!

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

You guys might be confusing JPEG Basic with JPEG Small

Unless of course you were set for JPEG Small/Basic in which case you're SOL.

Basic just means that there is a higher compression ratio used. Smaller file sizes at the same resolution, maybe more JPEG artifacts and it won't hold up as well to post processing.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    You guys might be confusing JPEG Basic with JPEG Small

Unless of course you were set for JPEG Small/Basic in which case you're SOL.

Basic just means that there is a higher compression ratio used. Smaller file sizes at the same resolution, maybe more JPEG artifacts and it won't hold up as well to post processing.
    Well, it all comes down to personal preference in the end, I suppose. I was not really considering that it might be jpeg small or not because Froggy didn't say it was. I was thinking purly of image IQ, and in that arena I have pretty high standards. I may post pics of lesser quality, but to print one out, it has to be good, really good. Therefore a baisc jpeg, even at full res, probably wouldn't make the grade for me. That is where I am coming from.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    You guys might be confusing JPEG Basic with JPEG Small.
    Exactly - it's a quantity vs. quality thing. But if the camera was set for Basic and Small then you're pretty much SOL. GB1's thread about upsizing may help a little bit and depending on the shot you might get a decent small print. It depends on the shot and what is acceptable to you. Try making a few 4x6's and see what works. BTW - 3.1 means 3.1 thousand, or 3100 shots.

Look at the bright side - you have shots of unusual conditions that you wouldn't have had if you left the camera at home. And, the shots should look fine for web posting - so let's see 'em!

Several of them or in the W/NW thread on winter scenes..the graveyard ones are the ones I'm most dissapointed about. They won't be to others taste, I'm sure but it is a difficult place to shoot due to dark background and I thought the snow really helped set the mood.
    There are 3 of the graveyard. W/NW - Winterscapes
    Don't know what you can do AgingEyes but feel free.
    Keep Shooting!

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

In all honesty, a 10mp file prints, at 300dpi, at 8.6x13". If you downsize even a JPEG basic large to a 4x6 print, I doubt you'd really notice.

Bumping to JPEG from RAW though kills your flexibility after the fact.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

I have to disagree. Unless you photos have problems with composition, focus and/or DOF you can get very good 8 by 10's out of the camera or larger.

As long as your composition is good, with minimal cropping, and is in focus you can get good 8 by 10's from a 3 mega pixel camera. The problem with Basic JPG is in the color space, as JPG compression will throw away small changes in the color which a higher compressions will pexalize the sky or a wall.

If you going to edit you JPG basic first copy the original to a TIFF or BMP and use the copied files for editing. After the editing you can always save to a jpg file.....
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Several of them or in the W/NW thread on winter scenes..the graveyard ones are the ones I'm most dissapointed about. They won't be to others taste, I'm sure but it is a difficult place to shoot due to dark background and I thought the snow really helped set the mood.
    There are 3 of the graveyard. W/NW - Winterscapes
    Don't know what you can do AgingEyes but feel free.
    Don't feel to bad about the snow scenes as even with film it's very hard to get even with using film. and I did not see any technical problems with the shoots you posted.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information