Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Iso

Iso

I know this may seem a noobie question, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me of when I should use certain ISO's. I have experimented a bit but it is simply by pure hasard since I don't really know what kind of results I will get. Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer me!
    Olympus E-Volt 500
    "Whoever controls the media, controls the mind"
    -Jim Morrison

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Re: Iso

pyxel,,,,ISO is the standard set for film speed..With the advent of Digital Photography it is the standard set for sensitivity of your camera's sensor..As you raise the ISO setting you are in effect raising the sensor's gain..

The general rule of thumb is to use the lowest ISO setting possible to get the best quality image..For example if you are shooting a landscape in good light your camera on a tripod use the lowest ISO setting your camera has..Or you are shooting a football match under lights with fast moving subjects use a higher ISO setting to attain faster shutterspeeds to freeze the motion of players..

Lower ISO setting will give you higher image quality with less noise...Most new generation DSLRs control their image noise very well so shooting at a higher ISO should not be a problem...Another point I'd like to make,,,I would rather shoot a subject at a higher ISO setting just to get the shot of a lifetime than not get the shot at all,,,you can always correct noise during post processing..

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

the lower the light, the higher the ISO . the lower you want your shutter speed, the lower the ISO. the smaller you want your aperture, the larger the ISO to maintain the same shutter speed. the higher the ISO the less light you need because the sensor is more sensitive.

Great, thanks for the answers guys!
    Olympus E-Volt 500
    "Whoever controls the media, controls the mind"
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by yogestee
    The general rule of thumb is to use the lowest ISO setting possible to get the best quality image..For example if you are shooting a landscape in good light your camera on a tripod use the lowest ISO setting your camera has..Or you are shooting a football match under lights with fast moving subjects use a higher ISO setting to attain faster shutterspeeds to freeze the motion of players..
    Yup. Just one thing to add, you might not always want to use the lowest setting for landscape shots. Here's an example of how you can use the ISO setting to help get the results you want. If there is a bit of wind and the light level is low, you might need a higher ISO to get both the aperture you want for the depth of field and shutter speed you need to stop motion (if that's your goal). With film, the only way to change the ISO is to put in a different roll of film. With digital, you can change on every shot. With my example, I wouldn't just crank it up to ISO1600 - figure out what you need and still use the lowest ISO you can get away with. In this case it might be 400 or 800 depending on a lot of factors.

Hi
    I try to make some translate in English one interesting material about photo. There are article about ISO: The range of ISO and real sensitivity. Noises.

Thread Information