Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Infra Red

Infra Red

I dabble in photography and love infra red photographs. My camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50) gives fair results using a Hoya R72 filter. However because of the filter which is necessary I cannot achieve the faster shutter speeds that I would like. I have done some reading on this and it would seem that a camera dedicated to IR gives much better results. I could go out and buy a top of the range camera and have it converted if I had access to unlimited funds. Unfortunately for me I do not,so can someone suggest a more reasonably priced camera that will not cost a fortune to convert
    Glenafton

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Infra Red

A coworker has an older camera that had an IR option on it but I don't remember what it was. I think it's a Sony but I'm not sure.

As far as a camera suggestion goes, I don't see a need to go top of the line. Buy an older, used camera and have it converted. The company www.lifepixel.com seems to be the most prominent IR conversion company here in the states and they offer the service for several different models of cameras ranging from P&S, DSLR's and MF digital. You could pick up and older Nikon Coolpix or Canon Powershot for very little money and have it converted. The conversion will cost more than the camera itself. If you want better image quality you could pick up a used DSLR body for a couple hundred bucks along with a 50mm f/1.8 lens and have that converted.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

n8

I've read that that nikon d70 is a very popular dslr for getting that mod.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

I think the Panasonic L1 would be a nice choice. Used ones are hard to find but cheap and also cheap to have converted. They also look cool.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Try the Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro UVIR, launched in 2006

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...ms3prouvir.asp
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Sigma also made a DSLR with a removable IR blocking filter just for IR photography. I think it is the SD10. They still go for a good price though. Around $500.00 last time I checked. I think DRG has a review of it here at PR.
    Found it
    http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...x.aspx?TabID=2
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Once again I am indebted to you all for sharing your knowledge. It's on to ebay to see what I can buy there. My thanks to all.
    Glenafton

One more thing... I have read good about Spencers and their conversions.
    http://spencerscamera.com/default.aspx

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information