Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Infra Red

Infra Red

I dabble in infra red photography,badly I may add. I cannot get the effect that I require.
    I want to try and capture the effects that Deborah Sandidge does but I cannot manage.
    My camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ50. I have adjusted the white balance to White Set 1 and use a Hoya R72 infra red filter with the camera usually set on shutter priority. I have tried aperture priority on occassion but that does not improve the picture.
    The camera has a picture adjustment ability where the contrast,sharpness and saturation can individually be set for high,standard or low setting. There is also a high or low noise setting. For post processing I use Photoshop CS3 extended.
    Can anyone give me advice on what settings to use?
    Glenafton

Re: Infra Red

Cameras have a filter in front of the sensor that removes the IR wavelengths and most IR photagraphers have a camera that has had this filter removed. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Yeah, removing the IR filter from the sensor is the best way of getting IR to work. It is practically irreversible though, should be done on a secondary camera.

If I remember right you have to Photoshop it and reverse the red and blue in Channel mixer and tweak it some.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information