Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Indoor shooting tips needed

My friend asked me to photograph a comedy show next week, followed up by a little party at the same location. I never shoot actual people, 95% of my photography is landscape so this is unchartered waters for the most part.

I am breaking out my Canon 50mm f/1.8 that I never use, and bringing my Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for some more fun type shots at the after party.

Any tips? Do's or Don'ts? The party area is fairly well lit, I am not sure about the stage area but I'd imagine it wont be "concert-dark". Its not very big.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Indoor shooting tips needed

Get as close as possible toi thé stage. Set jour caméra on thé maximum ISO it Will do and use thé 50mm. Set thé shutter speed at 1/200s toi freeze mot mouvement. Dont use flash

For thé part thé 11-16 is going to be fairly grotesque. I usually usually use about 24mm and bounce flash
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Hey guys,

I jave just joined in...Looking to buy new SLR camera...Any recommendations!!

Shoot in RAW so you can do corrections later, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Franglais, I am not sure what you mean by "grotesque", are you saying that lens would not be good for shooting party type scenes indoors? I also have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 I could bring as well if it would be better.....

The wide angle lens will distort the proportions of people close to the edge

the 17-50 sounds like a better choice

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    The wide angle lens will distort the proportions of people close to the edge

the 17-50 sounds like a better choice

Yea thats why I was going to bring it, to take some "fun" weird angle shots. Id rather not carry 3 lenses with me though, and the 17-50 probably makes more sense....

Quote Originally Posted by JoshD View Post
    Yea thats why I was going to bring it, to take some "fun" weird angle shots. Id rather not carry 3 lenses with me though, and the 17-50 probably makes more sense....
    Unless it's the F2 version I would not even think as it's too slow. Remember DOF with wide open lenses is not good fun.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by JoshD View Post

Any tips? Do's or Don'ts? The party area is fairly well lit, I am not sure about the stage area but I'd imagine it wont be "concert-dark". Its not very big.

!
    Based your exposure settings on the main light used to lit the subject. Zoom in, take a reading of the subject and use that if you want to.

Personally I'd shoot in manual mode especially when the lighting does not change. Actually, even if the lighting does change I'll shoot in manual mode anyway

Don't worry about photographing people with wide angle. In fact, Joe McNally shoots people with 14-24 on a full-frame camera quite a lot.

Thanks guys for the tips. I had to back out of the event last week due to strep throat, but these tips are good to know for the next time

Thread Information