Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Image Size

Image Size

I have a question about image size. What is the largest size print I could get out of a 3216x2136 file? I have been using the largest size, 4288x2848 but when I lower it down to the meduim size(3216X2136) I almost double the amount of photos that fit on my card. I am primarily shooting ATV/Motocross racing and plan to sell the photos to the racers. Being a racer myself I would usually want a 4x6" or a 8x10", MAYBE a 12x18" topps. WOuld I be able to get a nice 12x18" with the 3216x2136?

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: Image Size

Most likely, yes, as long as you employ good camera and post processing techniques.

But I advise against what you are proposing. You have a 12MP camera but using it as a 6.8MP camera to save from buying an extra card. Even if you had only one sale to a guy who wanted a 20x30, that sale would more than pay for the card. What if you capture something truly unique and marketable? Wouldn't you want the best possible capture?
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Quadracer041
    I have a question about image size. What is the largest size print I could get out of a 3216x2136 file? I have been using the largest size, 4288x2848 but when I lower it down to the meduim size(3216X2136) I almost double the amount of photos that fit on my card. I am primarily shooting ATV/Motocross racing and plan to sell the photos to the racers. Being a racer myself I would usually want a 4x6" or a 8x10", MAYBE a 12x18" topps. WOuld I be able to get a nice 12x18" with the 3216x2136?
    Profession print resolution in magazines is 300 dot per inch (DPI) You can good prints at 150 DPI if the image is of top quality (in focus and has good contrast).

I would say up to 8 by 10 inches with that file size. But I would purchase more cards as now the prices are very low, but it will not stay that way, and shoot at the maximum resolution that way your are covered if a person requests a large print.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Sold, thanks for the imput. I will be ording up a card, lol.

Thread Information