Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do they do that? Painting with light

How did they do this? "Ball of Light" set on Flickr.

I'd like to learn to paint with light. There are some cool old trucks in my yard that would make patient subjects. I sort of know the basics -- long exposure, flashlights with colored gels. But beyond that, does anyone have any tips or resources?

Re: How do they do that? Painting with light

judging by the fact that its a perfect circle, it would have to be something mechanical. Whatever it is it is very cool! He has some sort of mechanical device that helps him achieve it and he wont spill the beans!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/biskitb...57622454865956

looking at that one - notice the rock covering the bottom left of it, so it is something stationary that isn't done from behind the camera.

The fact that it appears equally bright on the top as well as the bottom makes me think it may be a device with spinning arms rather than just light projection from a single point.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Case and point on my above statement-- note the top is less perfect, and has a "double" pattern... like say, a pole may have been swinging in the breeze causing the movement of the top light projecting apparatus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/biskitb...5956/lightbox/
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

Camera on tripod shutter open under low light. Holding a small flashlight, trace the round pattern around yourself. Then light the surroundings. Close the shutter. I've seen it done by someone who has become pretty good at it.

I dont care how good you are, painting a perfect circle like that by hand with a flashlight is impossible. besides, it has shown itself to be within the scene, and not coming from some outside source.

I don't believe a person could make that perfect of sphere, though, Don. But the rest of the technique is probably the same.

Talked to another hobbiest photog that I work with. He thinks it may be spinning the light from a piece of string. That would make sense since the twirling string could probably intersect the top and bottom more often where the light is most concentrated.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I dont care how good you are, painting a perfect circle like that by hand with a flashlight is impossible. besides, it has shown itself to be within the scene, and not coming from some outside source.
    I think Don was saying a person would stand there and "paint" with the flash light, then leave the shot and adjust the lighting for the rest of the exposure as to remove/fade the person from the shot.

Still agree though, a person being able to make that perfect of a sphere is close to impossible.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

I was looking around after posting this and saw photos of some of the "tools" the light-painters on Flickr use. One of them had a hula hoop covered in LED lights. I'll bet spinning that could create this "Ball of Light."

Here's the hula hoop I saw. It's a different photographer, but it made me think it could be what Ball of Light dude uses.

Hi There. The wonders of the internet that I can see where views are coming from. And it is nice to see some healthy debate about how the Ball of Light comes to be.

Interesting to read the comment that creating the Ball of Light without a mechanical device would be "impossible".

As I am the tormented person who spends many cold and lonely night out there creating them I assure you that the Ball of Light is created in a single exposure (in raw as well that is viewed by anyone purchasing a print) and uses no mechanical devices whatsoever. Not one pixel is added or removed from the image in PP.

The Ball of Light is the culmination of hundreds of hours (and hundreds errors) of practice and some pretty trick electronics. I would suggest that before being so bold as to suggest something is impossible anyone that doubts go and have a look over the Ball of Light set and enjoy.

I hope you enjoy the work. And the only reason I have posted here is that in asking your initial question you are obviously keen to learn. The responses you have recieved thus far suggest that you cannot achieve the results you see of my work. I assure you that with very little equipment and a remote for your camera you can quite easily achieve what you see.

Have fun,

www.balloflight.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Biskitboy
    Hi There. The wonders of the internet that I can see where views are coming from. And it is nice to see some healthy debate about how the Ball of Light comes to be.

Interesting to read the comment that creating the Ball of Light without a mechanical device would be "impossible".

As I am the tormented person who spends many cold and lonely night out there creating them I assure you that the Ball of Light is created in a single exposure (in raw as well that is viewed by anyone purchasing a print) and uses no mechanical devices whatsoever. Not one pixel is added or removed from the image in PP.

The Ball of Light is the culmination of hundreds of hours (and hundreds errors) of practice and some pretty trick electronics. I would suggest that before being so bold as to suggest something is impossible anyone that doubts go and have a look over the Ball of Light set and enjoy.

I hope you enjoy the work. And the only reason I have posted here is that in asking your initial question you are obviously keen to learn. The responses you have recieved thus far suggest that you cannot achieve the results you see of my work. I assure you that with very little equipment and a remote for your camera you can quite easily achieve what you see.

Have fun,

www.balloflight.com.au
    Hi Biskitboy,

I want to be sure you know that no one was suggesting this was anything but a single exposure. Our debate was going along whether or not this was digital darkroom trick, but whether a person was the one painting the ball of light, or if "pretty trick electronics" were generating the light pattern (as I said, the one thought my co-worker had was that it could be a light being twirled on a string). I never doubted for a second these were anything but single long exposures.

No matter how they're made, BTW, they are completely and utterly awesome
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Hi Biskitboy,

I want to be sure you know that no one was suggesting this was anything but a single exposure. Our debate was going along whether or not this was digital darkroom trick, but whether a person was the one painting the ball of light, or if "pretty trick electronics" were generating the light pattern (as I said, the one thought my co-worker had was that it could be a light being twirled on a string). I never doubted for a second these were anything but single long exposures.

No matter how they're made, BTW, they are completely and utterly awesome

By pretty trick electronics I mean the actual light source, lots of resistors etc. I am there in the shot creating it. No Photoshop at all! If you look closely at each image, every one is different. There are some who use a frame and arm with LED's on the end to create an orb. It is clear and obvious that tis is the case. I do not use any frames, arms or any other fixed aparatus. The only thing touching the ground are my feet. I just get frustrated when I hear people suggest that what i do is impossible. If we suggested everything we didnt understand was impossible, then no one would try.

I am wrapped that you like the Ball of Light. I mean that sincerely.

Thanks Heaps and have fun!

Makes me wonder what might be done with Christmas lights on various body parts.

Winter is coming....

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    Makes me wonder what might be done with Christmas lights on various body parts.
    Okay, my mind just totally twisted this... Bad Cara!
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

Still, while the effect is definitely cool, the people posting these things are all sorts of serious ******bags.

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Okay, my mind just totally twisted this... Bad Cara!
    Thanks Cara, I needed that laugh!

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The creativity is great and I'm not one to use 'great' lightly.
    I'll be looking more closely as time,(the scourge of all learners), allows.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

There has always been something strange about people from Adelaide
    The are nearly as strange as Tasmanians
    but not quite as strange as New Zealanders

whatever your technique your images are striking although I actually think some of them would be better without the ball, and some of them could do with more than 1 ball.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

How cool, the "Ball of Light dude" himself showed up! The wonders of the Internet, indeed.

Thanks, Denis, for commenting and adding fuel to the fire. :-) I don't blame you for not wanting to give away your secrets, but you can't blame us for speculating!

Quote Originally Posted by patia
    How cool, the "Ball of Light dude" himself showed up! The wonders of the Internet, indeed.

Thanks, Denis, for commenting and adding fuel to the fire. :-) I don't blame you for not wanting to give away your secrets, but you can't blame us for speculating!

Thanks Heaps. I love sharing and helping people grow. I just get irked when people use the word impossible. You cant learn and grow if you are told things are impossible.

Have Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    There has always been something strange about people from Adelaide
    The are nearly as strange as Tasmanians
    but not quite as strange as New Zealanders

whatever your technique your images are striking although I actually think some of them would be better without the ball, and some of them could do with more than 1 ball.

Hey Skyman. I try and find a great location and composition then wait for the Ball of Light to turn up.

I love your comments about strange people form Adelaide. I am actually a Kiwi, who married an adelaide girl, and we hope to live in Tasmaina some day. Classic. Thanks for your comments on the work, Have fun!

I saw something similail to these in an art gallery but not on this grand of a scale. They had used a drill mounted to a vice to spin the light. Multipul exposure. But the ones I saw were silver gels done up nice.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Biskit boy, what you've done in those ball of light exposures was very cool, and the choice for the photography was excellent! I would like to try it out myself. But you won't spill beans on your technique!

Anyway, I am the one who used the word "impossible", and I'm not too pleased at the way you twisted and misinterpreted my words. I only meant that the circles were not drawn by hand, an they obviously aren't. I never suggested it was multiple exposures or a Photoshop trick. I read in your description that it was a single exposure and I believed you. If a person uses a compass to draw a circle, that is a mechanical device, if you used a hula hoop as a tool, that is also a "mechanical device". Though it is "possible" to draw a perfect circle, it is hard enough to consider it "impossible" from a practical standpoint.

So then, can you confirm or deny for us then: were any of the exposures done with a hula hoop?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Hey, Biskitboy! I hope you stick around and join in on the passion in all these forums.
    There can never be too many creative ideas.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information