Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question How to clean the lens of my Finepix S602Zoom?

This is my first post on this forum. I looked into other Q&A's but did not find an answer yet:
    On my pictures more and more spots are visible. I tried to upload some examples for you but somehow I get an error message(no, they are only 30KB big...) Especially on blue sky pictures they stand out as unfocused round spots and spoil the picture.
    First there was only one spot, now there are at least four. It gets so irritating that I am thinking about bying another camera but is that really necessary?
    Wendy

Re: How to clean the lens of my Finepix S602Zoom?

Hi and welcome. Here's a tutorial on how to post photos. Is the front lens element actually dirty? It should take a pretty fair amount of stuff on it to be visible in most situations.

I usually start with a Giottos Rocket Air Blower to get anything loose off the glass. Then I use a microfiber cloth (any brand) to get what I can off - OK to breathe on the lens if it helps. Once in awhile I use Eclipse Lens Solution with their Pec Pads too.

I linked all of these to B&H but not sure if they ship to Scotland. I know they won't ship the lens solution anywhere, but all of this should be available at a good local camera store.

Wendy I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I have a Fuji S602Z and have never experience any problems at all. It is a sealed unit and there should not be any way for dust or dirt to get to get inside on the sensor or inner surface of the lens. If it is a problem with external dust or dirt on the outer lens than it should not be to much of a problem to handle. What have you tried to this point?

Just read Steve's post and he has out lined the cleaning procedure for the outer lens surface pretty well. Just don't rub hard on the lens for fear of scratching the surface. Some grit and dirt can be very abrasive always blow or dust off before attempting to rub with or without solution.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I cleaned the outside lens with these little papers, that's all I tried as you cannot unscrew anything. I forgot to tell you that I can see the spots through the viewfinder...
    I will give uploading some examples another try too.

Uploading now worked! (I did it just as I did before though). Here are three pictures. On the pictures taken from the plane there are some extra dirt spots that are on the windows, but you can clearly see the spots I am having problems with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to clean the lens of my Finepix S602Zoom?-dscf0089.jpg   How to clean the lens of my Finepix S602Zoom?-dscf0090.jpg   How to clean the lens of my Finepix S602Zoom?-dscf0101.jpg  

Wow - real problem in the first one but the dark spots are probably on the plane's window (hopefully). How dirty is your lens, just by looking at it? Is there really a lot of dust, etc on it? I'm thinking that there might be more of a problem here but the first thing to try is cleaning the lens. It looks like sensor dust which shouldn't happen on a camera like this, so I'm guessing that fix would be to send it to Fuji. This is part of life with a digital SLR because of the interchangeable lenses, but on these cameras it's also pretty easy to fix.

Yes, the small dark spots are on the plane's window! I will try some more cleaning this weekend and will post the results - fingers crossed! thanks!

Thread Information