Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Smile Hi there - I'm new to this forum....

Hi everyone - I am new to this site and I too am looking for some advise...
    I would like to capture wildlife - specifically macro shots. I've got a marine tank which needs shooting !

I have used film SLR years ago & lost interest when digital cameras became popular - but initially they were very expensive. I liked the idea of viewing b4 an image was printed.

I had a 'complete' kit - Pentax ME Super... over 20 years ago - great camera, very happy with it. But I lost it abroad Replacements bodies although the same make never felt as good. Shutters sticky, etc... I then bought a Canon EOS 50e, which I still have somewhere stored away. I have only put two rolls of film through it & i wasn't happy with the results I'll be digging it out to remind myself which lens it has ! I think it was a 55mm-80mm. But I can't remember Would it be possible to use this on a digi body ?

I've had a Canon Powershot A70 & I am familar with PCs/image handling, but I'm hankering after SLR versatility. The A70 is quite hit 'n' miss, although great for snapshots & keeping records. I NEED to spend as little as possible. eg there are some good deals through shops / Power sellers on eBay.... but I really do not know where to start !

I would like to spend a max of £400, but it's a flexible budget... I would like a kit that I could add too...

Basically, I have a Canon lens from a film body. And I'd like to start some amatuer macro photography.

Kind regards
    Ellie

PS Please feel free to move me to the 'Introductions' page... or somewhere else !

Re: Hi there - I'm new to this forum....

Hi and welcome - I moved this to the Help Forum.

You can't beat an SLR for versatility, but this will be stretching your budget quite a bit. I'm not sure what DSLR's go for in UK but you might try looking at a Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D?) or a used 300D. This should work with your lens as long as it's a Canon EOS mount. I doubt if that's the focal length - most zooms have a larger range; something like 28-80 is very common. Keep in mind that the sensor on these cameras is smaller than a 35mm negative, so the lens will act like a longer lens by a factor of 1.6x.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I would't trust my money to eBay - except to the Canon UK outlet store.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet
    Item 7612348365

Then add to that macro extension tubes, I'd suggest as a starting point.
    You may want to save up and buy a macro lens later.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Smile Re: Hi there - I'm new to this forum....

hi there chaps
    Thank you for the replies. I'll be looking at a body & a mid range lens.
    Macro extensions sound interesting - is there some text anywhere that you can direct me too.
    I remember somewhere that Pringle tubes can be used .... or did I imagine that ???

Thanks again
    Ellie

Pringle tubes are a little too large to get a good light seal.
    The larger diameter version of kitchen roll tube might work.
    But that is going to have an aperture of f/128 or more.

You also have problems with Dust getting in !
    It's no problem with film cameras, they are easy to clean.
    But a digital SLR is another matter entirely.

Canon's extension tubes come in 12 and 25mm.

http://www.canon.com.au/products/cam...f12_specs.html
    http://www.canon.com.au/products/cam...f25_specs.html
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by Ellies123
    Hi everyone - I am new to this site and I too am looking for some advise...
    I would like to capture wildlife - specifically macro shots. I've got a marine tank which needs shooting ! clip.....
    I have done alot of Macro Photography, manly flowers herbs and wild flowers. I use a Nikon
    D70 but started doing Macro Photograpy using an Olympus C-3030. I have found that trying to use flash shooting a fish tank is not a good thing. You will need to have a lighting set up of some type and a Tripod, a good tripod that doesn't move. Most of my current Mirco photography I use a Tamrom 70-300 Tele-Macro (the newer version not the DX) an I have been very happy with it. With the Olympus I was always zoom out and wanting more focal lenght. With the Tamrom the long focal lenght is hard to hand hold and the DOF I wish was more..... But that is the law of physics.

For capturing wildlife even the 300mm (it's 450mm eqivlant) is too short.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Hello - again
    Thank you all of your replies so far much appreciated

I've been through the garage and found - still in mint condition - my Canon EOS50e. It has a 28-80mm Ultrasoinc lens attached, which it also mint.
    I am definitely considering buying a 350D, which comes with an 'Ef-s 18-55mm' lens (£486.53) (NOT through eBay !)

Now then... I have been told that the original, Ultrasonic lens will fit onto the new digital body, but the range will change to approx. 45-128mm.

Does this calculation need to be applied to the new lens - an ''Ef-s 18-55mm' - which comes with the new camera body or will it already had the calculation made ?

OR I am covered between 28mm through to 128mm ?

Will I also need a larger capacity flash card ? I have a 'spare' for the Powershot which can be used in the short/long term. Can't it ? - it's a 128mb card. Which holds plenty of Powershot images - but will it hold ANY Canon 350D images ? Is there a minimum size of flash card which is needed ?

Questions, questions ... !

Kind regards
    Elaine

Yes, your 350D has a multiplier of 1.6x, for all lenses.
    The lens you get with it effectively gives a view like a 27-115mm would on 35mm film

So you have quite an overlap on the focal length of those lenses.

Certainly, your image files with the 350D will be larger.
    So you will want probably a 1GB memory card. I don't think 512MB cards are worth it today, if you look at the cost of two of those, or one larger card.
    PAul

Smile Re: Hi there - I'm new to this forum....

Hi All

Well, took the plunge & I am now the proud owner of a Canon 350D... I bought the kit from a shop. I decided not to risk such an investment to the postal service ! My existing lens DOES work ! And so does the speedlite flash gun

I pushed my budget up a little.... - thanks to my flexible friend !

I took a couple of shots of our marine tank. I am so impressed with the detail captured. I've put the images onto my PC, and I have zoomed in on the fish's eye.... wow ! It will save netting the fish in future to check on their condition !

Just need to source a printer now, but that's easier right ? Maybe NOT

Thank you for your comments and encouragement.
    Hoping to shoot the robin in the garden later....
    ....time for a cuppa tea & read the manual.
    ;) Canon 350D with 28-55mm lens AND 55-80mm Ultrasonic lens Speedlite flash ;)

Hi everyone, My name is Alvaro, and I am new here, I would like to know if a lens 100-400 is good enough to take great shots to birds or animals who are far, because well... you cant get close enough because they could either blow away or attack you. So please let me know what you know... also if you have some way to get this lenses cheaper... let me know that too. My camera is a canon EOS rebel k2.
    GRACIAS!!!

Thread Information