Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Cool help w/ indoor swimming photos

Recently got a DSLR. Took FANTASTIC swimming pics outdoors with automatic settings, but having trouble now at indoor pools--pics are blurry. I've been playing around with the ISO and shutter speed, but still not getting it right. Anyone out there who has some experience with this area, and some general advice on the best settings? (my camera is Sony Alpha300) thanks!

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: help w/ indoor swimming photos

You are getting blurry pictures because of slower shutter speeds. To achieve faster shutter speeds, try using Aperture priority and selecting the smallest aperture number you can for the given lens. If that isn't enough (and it probably won't be), start selecting higher ISO numbers. With high ISO's you will get increased noise, and if the lighting is really bad you may not have a high enough ISO to freeze the action.

If you can't freeze the action, then there are a couple things to do. First, experiment with motion blur, as you can get some fantastic shots. That takes a lot of exposures and a lot of practice, but the rewards are worth it. If you don't like the idea of that, then you can always buy a faster lens. Faster lenses are of course more expensive. If that's too pricey, then maybe pick up a good flash unit. You'd be limited to shooting only at closer ranges and you'd probably have some white balance issues to work out, but you'll be able to freeze the action and even use combinations of motion blur+freeze action.

Chances are that the light level is really low, so it'll be very hard to shoot. I'm guessing that maybe you didn't go high enough with the ISO, try 1600. You'll get "noise" that looks like film grain, but programs like Noise Ninja can get rid of it.

Actually, you should be able to shoot in manual mode in a case like this. Take a few shots and make sure everything looks right, then you're good as long as the light doesn't change. If you're in any sort of an automatic mode, you might notice that some shots have different shutter speeds and/or apertures. This is because something fooled the meter in the camera, and it may give you a few over or underexposed shots. Set the aperture to the widest setting (lowest "f" number), figure out what shutter speed you need to get proper exposure, and shoot.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

What lens are you shooting? If you're using a "kit" lens with the Sony, chances are it is "too slow" for indoor sports - even at high ISO's.

For swim meets, I would think that the minimum shutter speed would be in the 1/250s range (depending how close you are). If you can't hit those speeds at ISO 1600 with your present lens, your hands are tied - I would think any higher ISO would be too noisy.

Perhaps look into a fast, medium telephoto prime like a 100mm f/2.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

I'm sorry to say most likely you do need a faster lens. A minim of F2.8 is required for indoor sports. You may even have to use the highest ISO setting on your camera (which may give you noise).
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks everyone. Yes, I am using the kit lens, and a faster one is out of the picture for awhile. I've been playing around with my camera, using all of your suggestions--I really appreciate the help.

Though this post is many months after the original, perhaps it can be of some help. I have shot indoor swim meets for three years and have learned much.

Necessities: f2.8 lens or faster, manual mode at 2.8 and minimum 1/200 shutter speed.

I shoot at ISO800 and have found that to be minimum ISO. I use a Nikon D200 and Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8 non-VR lens.

The most interesting and excellent swim shots have often been when a swimmer is just coming up out of the water in her/his stroke, just breaking the water or in mid-stroke and breathing to the side (in the case of freestyle swimmers).

I have never used a flash in the pool area or on deck, as all flash photography is not only frowned-upon but could also mimic starting/timing equipment and throw swimmers off. This makes getting good photos very difficult, of course, but once a few excellent photos happen you will be very proud of your shots. Isolating shots of swimmers in the water picks up brilliant hues of blue, as well as colorful swim caps.

Enjoy. Photographing swimming can be very frustrating at first, but getting used to taking lots of shots and finding how many keepers come out of those is just part of the deal.

Thread Information