Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help! Telephoto fell into salt water! What next?

Help, please! Yesterday, the kit telephoto lens (75-200) from my new Sony Alpha-100 fell into the ocean while I was photographing some boats. It sat in salt water for about 12 hours before the tide went out and I could find it. I immediately put it into isopropyl alcohol, hoping the alcohol would extract the water (it's a trick I use in woodturning to dry out wet wood).

I removed the UV filter from the front, and tried moving the mechanisms. A narrow, black felt band that was behind the focusing ring fell out -- it had been held in place with glue, which failed.

The lens is full of water/alcohol. What do I do next? I am relatively comfortable with optical systems (I used a microscope in my day job as a pathologist), but I'm not sure how hard it is to dismantle and repair a lens.

Thanks so much for your advice.
    Charles in Victoria, B.C. (who is hoping hye doesn't have to buy a new telephoto lens)

Re: Help! Telephoto fell into salt water! What next?

What Next? Go to a good photography shop and buy an new lens. That one is now a wet paperweight.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

salt water + electronics = no good. Sounds like you're going to have to buy a new lens. good thing its not a really expensive one.

Check Adorama, Beach Camera and B&H photo video for a new one.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

If this was a fully manual lens, it might be saved. The new lenses have micro circuitry in them that the salt will eat in no time.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

given he said the kit lens from an alpha, Im betting its AF.

To try and save the lens it would have needed to be flushed out using fresh water immendiately and for a while to get rid of the salt which the alcohol won't do. However, I have never seen electronics survive more than a dipping in salt water.

It could have all sorts of mud, sand, small critters... in the lense that would trash it.

Best advise is buy a new lens and protect the camera body.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by crsmith
    Help, please! Yesterday, the kit telephoto lens (75-200) from my new Sony Alpha-100 fell into the ocean while I was photographing some boats. It sat in salt water for about 12 hours before the tide went out and I could find it. I immediately put it into isopropyl alcohol, hoping the alcohol would extract the water (it's a trick I use in woodturning to dry out wet wood).

I removed the UV filter from the front, and tried moving the mechanisms. A narrow, black felt band that was behind the focusing ring fell out -- it had been held in place with glue, which failed.

The lens is full of water/alcohol. What do I do next? I am relatively comfortable with optical systems (I used a microscope in my day job as a pathologist), but I'm not sure how hard it is to dismantle and repair a lens.

Thanks so much for your advice.
    Charles in Victoria, B.C. (who is hoping hye doesn't have to buy a new telephoto lens)
    Well the lens to be saved has to be completely disassembled, and washed and dried. Since the lens has no power source in it (batteries) any electronics should be ok as long as the lens is disassembled quickly. Even without a power source the dissimilar metals will create a battery and corrosion will very quickly make the lens worthless. On how long it will take to happen I have no idea but after 72 hours it could be a goner.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Like others have said, buy a new lens. If you chose to get this fixed/cleaned, it will cost you more than a new lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ouch!! Personally, I would be checking with my home owner's insurance to see if there was any coverage - it is a personal possession. If this photography is simply a hobby (serious or not) you might get some relief. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thread Information