Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help selecting a tripod

Looking for an affordable tripod, it's main use will be night and scenery photography.

What features should I be looking for?
    Nikon D5000

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Help selecting a tripod

What does "affordable" mean to you? What camera and lens combo do you plan on using? A P&S or a pro body with a 600mm f/4 lens will need very different tripods, so knowing what you're using will help.

What ever your budget is for a tripod, I would recomned spending it all, and even more if you can. Get the best tripod & head that you can afford because it can last you a lifetime.

Read this article:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Bogen & Gitzo make some great products. Carbon fiber is very popular because it's strong, stable and very light weight, but that comes at a price. There are tons of options out there so the more info you can give us, the more people will be able to help.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The camera is an XTi (400d) and the lens will usually be the 70-300 or the 28-80.

The budget is around $200, used affordable instead of cheap because I now what a cheap tripod is.
    Nikon D5000

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

For $200, you can get a decent combo. The bogen 3021 tripods are popular. I think they're around $120. That leaves you $80 to find a 3 way or ball head to go with it. That's what I did, and I'm very happy with it.

I can second the recommendation for a Bogen 3021. Nice tripod. However, I got the 3030 3-way head with mine and now I'm looking to replace it with a ball head, because I think a ball head is much easier/quicker to use. Just something to consider.

Also, I have a small (digital p&s size) SLIK tripod which I've been very impressed with. SLIK is generally cheaper than Bogen or other high-end tripods, but from what I've seen of this little one, I would bet the bigger ones are nice too.

Paul

I have a set of the Bogen 3021 (BPro) legs and I love them. I have been using them for a couple of years now and they work great. I just cleaned them all up a couple weeks ago, and they are as smooth as they were when I bought them.

The cheapest 3021 Legs that B&H has are about $158. That doesn't leave a lot for a head though.

I really like the ball head vs the 3 way pan/tilt heads that I have used. Very fast and easy to use. I have the 488RC2 on my legs, and it is a very nice combo.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I got this one a couple of weeks ago. But it has gone way up since I got mine. I paid $257 from Amazon and 3 weeks later they want $300. It is a great tripod for my XT and 18-200 or 75-300, but I would draw the line at about what I paid. That's a rediculous price increase in that time

http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-Carmagn...6714797&sr=8-5

I had a Slik 300 pro and liked it much. Now, i have a slik 700 DX Pro and think nothing can be better for the money. got it from Adorama for 129.00. comes with two levels in the pan head, extremely tall and so i never have to open the legs up fully. Extremely stable and also capable of getting down low to about 15 " off the ground because of a clever center column that can unscrew in half allwoing you to get the tripod very close to the ground. Also comes with a case. I had tries various tripods and opened them up in adorama including similiarly priced bogens and nothing came close to what you get from this. This might actually be too much tripod for what you have and so a slightly less expensive unit from slik would be fine such as my other 300 pro.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I have to agree with Gary. I have a slik. I am unsure of the model, but it sets up fast and is stable and rugged. I think it will last me for years.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Dont mean to Hijack the thread but on the topic of Tripods, I hike alot so a little bit different question would be: Whats the lightest Tripod for under say...$200 or should I go with a monopod for packability and lightweight?

Don't know of a particular model, but Carbon Fiber legs with Magnesium heads is the lightest combo.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheelvolvo
    Dont mean to Hijack the thread but on the topic of Tripods, I hike alot so a little bit different question would be: Whats the lightest Tripod for under say...$200 or should I go with a monopod for packability and lightweight?
    Glasstream is right about carbon fiber and magnesium, but you'll need to double your budget to get one of those. B&H lists weights and dimensions for most (maybe all) of the tripods they sell. I'd look there.

To get something in your price range you may need to make some compromises. It might not be the most sturdy tripod, but you can hang something from the center column to improve stability. You might also need to get a shorter tripod. And always use a remote trigger or cable release for the shutter.

The best way to get away with using a lighter tripod is to get a lighter/smaller camera and use shorter lenses. I've been using a 35mm RF, which is quite compact, and that allows me to carry a 1.9lb tripod made for digital point and shoot cameras. It works, but I have to be very careful. You could also use VR lenses on a monopod but that will only go so far.

Paul

Weight can be a concern if you plan on carrying it any distance. Carbon fiber is nice but I'd bet it would be more than twice the price. I do have a fairly lightweight one (Gitzo 1228) which isn't made anymore but it's perfect for me. I did get a great deal on it used, but if I knew how much I like it several years later I wouldn't have had a problem buying a new one.

C/F doesn't get cold like aluminum which is a big plus in the winter. It also just feels sturdier and less prone to vibration. My aluminum Bogen 3001 was similar in size but the 1228 is a whole lot sturdier. The 3021 is a great overall value though. I have a 3025 head which is their least expensive (could be in the $30-40 range for a $200 total) and it's very simple and sturdy. I haven't used that one for awhile, and some other heads are quicker to use but you won't find anything sturdier.

I hear you guys on the "double price" thing but it's not gonna happen. I think a carbon fiber monopod might be the way to go for me as i'm really only going to use it for big landscape shots while hiking and sports stuff so I want to be able to carry it and set it up very quickly if need be. Plus the packability of a monopod seems more feasible than a tripod on my back. Should I really be looking at a tripod for the landscape shots though? how fast can you set one up for some of the sports shots?

Maybe i'll just have to save my pennis a few more weeks ;-)

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Well if you decide on the monopod route for hiking... Maybe you won't have to carry it on your pack after all.. Check out REI or your local outdoor gear place for hiking staffs that also double as monopods.

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I had a Slik 300 pro and liked it much. Now, i have a slik 700 DX Pro and think nothing can be better for the money. got it from Adorama for 129.00. comes with two levels in the pan head, extremely tall and so i never have to open the legs up fully. Extremely stable and also capable of getting down low to about 15 " off the ground because of a clever center column that can unscrew in half allwoing you to get the tripod very close to the ground. Also comes with a case. I had tries various tripods and opened them up in adorama including similiarly priced bogens and nothing came close to what you get from this. This might actually be too much tripod for what you have and so a slightly less expensive unit from slik would be fine such as my other 300 pro.
    greg and gary.

B & H show this one for around 130 plus shipping. the reviews are excellent.

i only have minor small lenses currently but i am trying to thing ahead and look for a time when i can add lenses but not have to buy all new equipment.

other tripods around look to be higher priced.

the specs look good it seems to have TWO bubbles (did i read the reviews correctly ?) plus as you say, you can "break" down the centre column to get very low to the ground.

having read a lot of "recommendations' and reviews lately as i am looking to purchase, this seems to be a great buy. some reviews even asked if it was too good to be true, but they stated that they thought it was perfect. the 500 costs the same, seemingly with less features.

how does the pan and tilt compare to the ball head, and what technically is the overall difference by way of comparison ???

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    Well if you decide on the monopod route for hiking... Maybe you won't have to carry it on your pack after all.. Check out REI or your local outdoor gear place for hiking staffs that also double as monopods.
    Good tip. Galen Rowell carried two hiking sticks (which are nice to have anyway) and used his body as the third support to create a make shift tripod. He talks all about it in Mountain Light...great book.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    You got my thinking that there is an even cheaper alternative than that! I could probably go to my local hardware store and get a double ended screw (one that fits the camera mount) and just crew that into my existing trekking poles I always take with me! True it wont be as tall but it will do considering the weight savings and obvious compactability/functionality :thumbsup:

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Yeah, C/F is expensive, but worth saving some pennies for. The Velbon 530 CF I have is very light with the Mg head, but I would not hesitate to slap an 8X10 view camera on it.

I have been burned often enough by getting something "Good Enough", and then ending up with the good one 6 months later. Cheaper in the long run to wait and get what you really want and need.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

An old photojournalist trick was to get about 6' of lightweight chain and attach a 1/4"-20 eyescrew to one end. Screw that into the tripod socket in the camera and stand on the other end of the chain to pull it taught. That'll cut down on a lot of camera movement but of course not all of it. Cheap, quick and easy though.

A monopod isn't really a great idea for landscape, but they obviously are a lot lighter in weight. Two of them is a pretty good idea, especially if they're trekking poles - that'll form a tripod. But - a tripod is the best thing to use.

I've spent a lot of money by trying to save money on tripods too...

If you want decent quality at a VERY reasonable price, go to ebay, and look for a seller called amvona.com!

I got a very stable tripod, and a ball head mount, delivered, for $87. The bid total was only $57, and the extra $30 was for shipping!! Im very impressed, and it is more than adequate for my D50 and 18-200mm lens combo.
    Whoever said a photograph is worth a thousand words has never heard me !%$&%$@!# at my pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man
    If you want decent quality at a VERY reasonable price, go to ebay, and look for a seller called amvona.com!

I got a very stable tripod, and a ball head mount, delivered, for $87. The bid total was only $57, and the extra $30 was for shipping!! Im very impressed, and it is more than adequate for my D50 and 18-200mm lens combo.
    Thanks for the amvona info, landed an AT-808BL for $87 shipped.
    Nikon D5000

I am looking at purchasing a landscape tripod. I am liking the Bogen 3039 head for around two hundred bucks. The legs that support the head are crucial. Bogen 055XProB legs are stout enough to support this head, but I am considering going a bit heavier. I am shooting a 35mm film camera so I know that when I shoot landscapes in the mountains, I will take multiple exposures to make a picture. I need a calibrated pan tilt head so I know where to shoot. Later I will stitch these shots together. This is the only option I see for those of us who do not have medium or large format cameras. This head will accommodate a large format camera.

I also just scored a Gitzo No. 4 tripod from a local thrift store. This tripod will be used for night shots, and cityscapes. It is a considerable tripod. It is heavy, but in great shape.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

I am currently looking for a tripod also. This is what I am thinking about getting. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ripod_Leg.html and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...d_w_Rapid.html.
    My only question is dose a bubble level really help out, should I get one.

James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    My only question is dose a bubble level really help out, should I get one.
    James
    I have a bubble level that fits in my hot shoe, and I use it quite a bit. If you shoot a lot of landscapes, I would highly recomend one. Of course it's only good to have if you actually use it. When I shoot, I try to do all the cropping I can, in the camera. If my horizon in not level, that means I have to rotate and crop in post, and that means that something along the edge of the photo is going to be lost. It can really damage a nice photo to have to crop something out that you really want in the photo.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information