Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Help - Pricing Work???

Hi everyone,

I might get an offer to do some work for an architectural company next week

My problem is I have no idea what I should charge or how, so if I am asked what are my rates or how much do I cost I'd have no idea what to say.

Can someone give me some advice on how to structure a paying job for an architect???

Thanks a bunch,

Shootme.
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

drg

Re: Help - Pricing Work???

Architectural work can be tricky to price with a new client.

The basics to determine are Rights of usage, interior or exterior, level of documentation, anastigmatic or not, liability, release of design, and of course whether it is a work-for-hire. Now that is for the United States of course.

Generally true Architectural photography is going to be one of the most expensive particularly if it is documentary as you'll need to include the cost of the lens that the client then gets when the job is done. Thus it can be repeated exactly if necessary.

If they want just views and perspectives charge at least as a day rate operation. You have no idea (no one does) what lighting changes will occur and how finicky the client will be. Architects are some of the worst perfectionists on the face of the earth. God love 'em!

Let me know what details you have and I'll try to give you then some dollar or amount figures that might be applicable to your situation!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Architectural work can be tricky to price with a new client.

Let me know what details you have and I'll try to give you then some dollar or amount figures that might be applicable to your situation!
    Wow thanks for that much appreciated.

OK I will let you know more when I meet with them and see what they say. I will try and do some research here in Geneva to see if I can find out more.

Appreciate your thoughts and help.

Peter

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Smile Re: Help - Pricing Work???

This thread might give you some ideas.

http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php...READ_ID=857915

As well, if you Google "architectural photography rates" you will find a multitiude of websites and different ideas.

When I worked as a Business Analysts/Consultant - quite a different field, I remember that when I started off I was charging less and I as I grew in knowledge, experience and familiarity with the whole process, I was able to gradually charge more and that was about ten years ago before I retired. Today, with inflation and the limited supply of people with the skill set that I have, I would probably charge double (at least) what I charged before I retired.

If I were you, I would charge by the hour, including travel time if the location involves significant travel to and from (at least one hour, maybe both ways - you do have to pay for gas and other vehicle costs - insurance may go up if you use your vehicle for business); I would charge for setup and take down time; I would charge for "digital darkroom" time (maybe at a lower rate(?)) and I would always charge for review meetings with the client during the project. I never charged for inital meetings to determine the scope of the project and would occassionally "give away the odd hour or so here and there as a sort of client relationship thing, but you have to remember, you have to pay for the equipment that you may have to purchase along the way (including software and hardware for the digital darkroom), you may wish to upgrade equipment along the way to be able to meet the demands of certain types of clients. You may be able to establish a fee that would include some of these as part of their cost. As you gain experience, you may be able to charge a flat rate for small projects, and of course, the worst case scenario, the client may not like the end product and you may have to do it all over again at your expense to please and keep the client - something to think about.

Also, remember, the client is paying for your skills and knowledge and while you may not have much as you start out, it will grow as you gain more experience. You should also have in any agreement with a client that copies of your images can be used in your portfolio to demonstrate, to others, the work you have done, because really these are part of your resume - at the least keep a client list including name, dates, what was photographed and how (equipment and method), and products delivered to the client.. The cllient may okay your use of his images, providing he is not identified, but there is nothing wrong with that as long as you can build a portfolio of your work. Keep a diary of your work, so you will know what went well or worked well and what didn't. Also, find out what the client is going to use you work for - this may help deternine your approach to the project.

Make sure that you have a signed contract with each and everyone of your clients indicating what you will do and what you will deliver, e.g, pictures, CDs, DVDs, etc. - make it as specific as possible, including the use of his images in your portfolio and your hourly rate and that any taxes etc., are the reponsibility of the client. Also state, if necessary, what the client can and cannot do with the photos - can he sell them? Contracts prevent misunderstandings that could end up in court, or at least with a dissatisfied client who won't pay you. Keep copies of all correspondence between you and a client - print out e-mails etc, and keep records of conversations, particularly if they change the scope of the work - watch our for "scope creap"!! If necessary, always confirm verbal conversations with a followup email.

While these details may not be what you expected, if you are going to be paid for your work, then your client(s) will see you as a professional and have "expectations" for professional work and conduct.

HTH, my 0.02¢

WesternGuy
    Last edited by WesternGuy; 06-25-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    This thread might give you some ideas.

http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php...READ_ID=857915

HTH, my 0.02¢

WesternGuy
    Brilliant, this is a great help.

Thanks very much, I feel a little more confident.

Peter

Thread Information