Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help a newbie out

Hi folks,

I have always wanted to own a nice camera. After 17 years I have finally convinced my wife that this is a step I/we need to take. I have been researching digital slr's in our price range (5-800$) and have determined that i really like the Canon T1i.

Here is my concern: My wife is not at all electronically and technically inclined. I am afraid that she will be instantly frustrated with the complexity of this camera and will wish we had just bought another point and shoot. I, on the other hand am very capable of learning the ins and outs of using the camera effectively.

Is this camera simple and user freindly enough to avoid the stress of trying to teach her to use it, or should I go with a simpler version of dslr?

Also, what do you think of the t1i?

There is what I believe is a great deal at Thunder Cameras. A t1i with 28-200mm lense for $749. Any comments? The only downfall is that it only comes with a 256mb card, I am sure this is not sufficient.

Re: Help a newbie out

That's a very good price, but I'm afraid the retailer isn't so good. In just a quick google I got an immediate "beware" post. Then I checked Resellerratings and they don't have a good reputation there either. I would steer clear of them.

Check out Grandpa's thread on Nudity!!! which is actually about where to purchase from and letting the buyer beware. My favorite stores are BuyDig, B&H, Beach Camera, and Adorama. The price will probably go up a bit, and you may or may not be able to package it with a lens but you won't be disappointed with the service from these dealers.

If budget is a concern, step back a body generation, the body isn't as important as a decent lens is. The 28-200 is OK but tries to do too much in one lens. If you like that versatility then the Tamron 18-270 is a better choice.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm not a canon guy but I'm pretty sure the T1i has an auto mode in which all you have to do is point and shoot. It will be bigger and heavier than whatever p&s you have now.

Here is the link to the dealers that are trustworthy and those that are not Recommended sites and sites to avoid

Note how much longer the untrustworthy are than the trusted sites.
    I don't see Thunder on the list but these outfits frequently change names and EOS has done some of the research for you already.
    I seldom trust an outfit that has one of those catchy names.
    Check to see if a dealer is an "authorized" dealer. If they aren't, they are importing grey market and the manufacturer warranty will be null and void.
    Good luck and hope you can find what you want.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

If she is not technically inclined, she'll not be inclined to use DSLR. DSLR offers benefits for those who are technically inclined enough to exploit them, if shes just going to be throwing it around in auto mode she may as well do it at a fraction the size and cost and go with a point and shoot.

As far as the CF card goes - doesn't matter even a little. I just picked up a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II at a local store for $2. You may not get it for that exact price but, point being that flash memory is a major abundance, unless you are on food stamps with 13 children, you can afford plenty CF storage.

The T1i is a great camera and the sensor on that camera is great. An alternative that you might find worth looking at is the Canon 40D, its less megapixels (not necessarily a bad thing), a much more rugged body and build and offers much greater control and usability. Its discontinued so you'd find it in the used market or clearance, but should be comparably priced or even lower. Personally with my shooting style I would take the 40D over the T1i, even if for just the scroll wheel on the back.

The T1 can be shot on full auto making it essentially a point and shoot with badass lenses. But the beauty of the T1 is you can also use it to shoot HD video at 1080p. So it could also replace your camcorder. Nice huh?

Thank you all for your input. Ended up buying a D3000. not too complicated, friend has a D40X that has been good to him, so I figured this was a safe bet. Camera came with the 18-55, and I bought my friends 55-200 off of him. I'm now looking for a good deal on an 18-270 or 28-300.

Love the Camera, ordered it through Amazon whom I trust. Camera actually shipped from Cameta in NY.

eBay is a great place to find used lenses, but you need to pay close attention to feedback ratings and always ask questions if you aren't clear on something before you bid. And the beauty of Nikon bodies is that legacy lens support. Any lens you can shoot on manual will still work.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilliams4011
    Thank you all for your input. Ended up buying a D3000. not too complicated, friend has a D40X that has been good to him, so I figured this was a safe bet. Camera came with the 18-55, and I bought my friends 55-200 off of him. I'm now looking for a good deal on an 18-270 or 28-300.

Love the Camera, ordered it through Amazon whom I trust. Camera actually shipped from Cameta in NY.
    Just remember before you purchase a used lens make sure it will AF on your body (you will need a lens with the built in focus motor)
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

And get 1A skylight filter for each lens you get. Reason being? Insurance. I can't tell you how many lenses I've saved by trashing that 1A filter.

Thread Information