Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help identifying a camera lens

I recently found a camera lens in my uncles former residence and I haven't been able to find any information on it, so I was hoping someone here could help me. The front of the lens reads Nikkor-S Auto 1:1.2 f=55mm. I haven't been able to identify it on the Nikon USA website.

I'd also like to know if its compatible with any digital cameras out there. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Help identifying a camera lens

Yes, that's the one.

Is it compatible with Nikon's digital cameras? I really don't know that much about them.

NSSA/AIPS

Quote Originally Posted by Drpryr
    Yes, that's the one.

Is it compatible with Nikon's digital cameras? I really don't know that much about them.
    THere is an outside chance that it might work, but it appears to be pre 1980's which I think put's it outside the compatibility window. AI-s and newer Nikkor will usually work t some extant with modern Nikon bodies. There is a handy little chart of what will and won;t as well as to what degree they work at (love him or hate him..) Ken Rockwell's site. http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm
    It's not about the camera....

AI lenses are compatible but the pre-AI lenses are not. They can be made compatible but you need a milling machine.

Note - full manual on most bodies.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

n8

define compatibility. I've got a couple 60's-70's era lenses that work just fine on my cameras provided I don't expect any aperture control, auto focus, or metering of any kind.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by n8
    define compatibility. I've got a couple 60's-70's era lenses that work just fine on my cameras provided I don't expect any aperture control, auto focus, or metering of any kind.
    Pre AI Nikkor/Nikon lenses have to have the aperture ring milled before installation on the newer SLRs and DSLR cameras. You can get the lens stuck and/or brake the mount. It's a hit or miss if you can't ID the lens as there is visual difference a Pre-AI lens and AI lens. The AI lens was introduced with the Nikon FTN camera and was the standard until the AF lenses.

I purchased a 55mm micro lens which had been incorrectly converted to an AI lens, and about broke my D70, I had to mill off more of the aperture ring before it would fit correctly.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information